Windows latch 'thing'

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The windows latch handle 'thing' has broken.
Can someone tell me what it's called?
See below pic:
image.jpg

Thanks.

Can I get like for like? Just noticed it has some sort of key system. Would I need to get a similar key system??

I posted here before and got an answer and 2 years ago!
I can't find my post.

Sponsored Links
Oh sorry, thing circled, just a cover. just buy some new cockspur handles, easier.

I posted here before and got an answer and 2 years ago!
I can't find my post.

here

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/where-to-buy-a-broken-window-latch.503419/

or here

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/replacing-window-handles-with-keyless-ones.503420/

lots of them here
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=cockspur

If you still worry about losing keys, hang them on a cup-hook screwed into the top corner of the windowframe furthest from the opening, where it cannot be seen or reached from outside and will be concealed behind the curtain. Only the occupier needs to know where it is.

Sponsored Links
@EddieM Thanks mate.
Why oh why are they called cockspur? I would never have found!

@JohnD Thank you sir. I shall be asking again for your help in another 2 years. LOL.
That link you have has got some great prices. ScrewFix, B&Q - prices are quite a lot. I'll definitely order from that website.

QUESTION: would the existing screw hole spacing be standard somehow?
This would cause a problem if not?
EDIT: just seen a video on youtube where the guy fixes. On screw he fits over existing hole... others, he makes new. So maybe OK?

Oh... also... what is needed to replace the wedge? I can see plenty of videos replacing the handle... but none replacing the wedge.
Is it glued on? I actually need to replace many around the house.

Thanks.

They're called cockspurs presumably because they resemble a cockerels leg (ish!!) Hole spacing standard, well yes sort of, but there are variants. The wedges have a couple of nibs on the back that press into corresponding holes in the window frames.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: OM2
think back to the days of cockfighting.

Male birds naturally fight to achieve dominance and mating access to females, and have bony bits on their legs evolved for the purpose. In nature, the loser will be bruised and will run away, leaving the stronger male to court the female birds (there are some interesting writings on the evolution of non-fatal fighting between members of the same species by Nobel prizewinning but subsequently disgraced animal behaviourist and psychologist Konrad Lorenz).

To make cockfighting more entertaining, people used to bind sharpened metal blades to the birds' legs, before releasing them into the cockpit (small fighting enclosure so the loser could not run away) so they would cause bloody and fatal injuries to each other, rather than the bruises and scratches nature had intended. Obviously, the birds were not aware that they were killing each other. Rather in the same way that you might send small boys into a boxing ring with daggers attached to their gloves for the fun of the spectators.

These amusing weapons were called Cock Spurs because they were fastened to the legs of the male birds before a fight. The Cockspur handle is a similar shape.

Blood sports of the poor were mostly banned long ago, in the belief that it encouraged them to drink and wager when they should have been labouring diligently for the employer classes.

Blood sports (and betting) of the rich were not banned, although killing foxes for pleasure is nominally outlawed now.

%2527Fighting+Cock.%2527+Painting.jpg
%2527The+Cock+Fight%2527+by+Winslow+Homer+Painting+Print+on+Canvas.jpg

Last edited:
but this sharpened metal spur resembles the window-handle.

%2527Fighting+Cock.%2527+Painting.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back