Where to buy blocks for small garden wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having some work done in the next couple of weeks which will result in some of our raised lawn being dug into, so we will need to build a small retaining wall at some point.

Its only a few metres long and will be a straight wall so plan on doing this myself and was looking to use those blocks that look like multiple bricks together (if you get what i mean!) rather than standard building bricks.

The thing is i cant seem to find them anywhere, ive looked in B&Q, Wickes, online and im struggling.

Can anyone help me locate them or what i should be looking/asking for?

Sponsored Links
Retaining walls are not trivial constructions. Normal brick/blockwork (if built plumb) can withstand very high vertical load but are not so good on lateral loads (since a lateral load will put the blocks and mortar into tension and most masonry products perform appallingly under tension). A retaining wall, by definition, is subject to high lateral loads.

If you're only retaining 300mm or so of soil then a 'standard' wall will probably be OK (decent footings, buttress every 3000mm, weep holes). Much more than that and you're into structural engineer territory.

Sponsored Links
PS Answer to original question (blocks that look like bricks) not a clue. Google 'Bradstone walling'- there's loads of block products that look like smaller blocks but not really brick lookalikes.

Or throw your retaining wall up in blocks then clad it (like Jack Duckworths' house if that is what floats your boat). Or pour it in concrete and then clad it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back