Where to buy laminate for worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surprised there's no kitchen forum.....

Anyway, when I did the kitchen in our previous house I made all the worktops from 1" blockboard and laminate, made my own edging. That was in 1981.
The kitchen in our current house has a free-standing cooker, which I'm going to replace with a built-in hob & oven, and I need about 4ft of worktop to match what's there. I think the existing top dates back to about 1994.
White, slightly textured, 1" thick.

The worktop in kitchen shops and Homebase is nothing like. I've been looking for laminate to make my own, but no one seems to stock laminate sheet any more.
Any idea where I can get some? I'm near Gloucester.

Alternatively, we could get the whole lot replaced in Corian, pricey, and I've been told it scratches easily. What do we think?

Thanks

Ivor

Sponsored Links
Having trailed round all our local builders merchants, Homebase, Wickes - where the staff were amazed to hear that in the olde days we used to make our own worktops - I went into a local hardware shop, Millington & Ramsted, and behind the counter they had Formica's sample chart hanging up, and Yes sir no problem to order a sheet. Four different whites, one of which was just called White, guess they ran short of silly names.

It's a lot thinner than it used to be. Probably a lot easier to cut too.
I'll stick it to 1" blockboard (prime the board with glue first and let it dry) and varnish the edges well to make sure the damp can't get in where it comes up against the end of the sink.
Then make an elm edging for the front.

Be 'fun' fitting it against the wall, straight it ain't. Whoever fitted the existing worktops gave up and used a lot of silicone. I'll make a cardboard pattern, and from that a plywood pattern, and from that I can profile the worktop.

Afterwards I have to make the cutout for the hob and build the ventilated under-structure for the oven. I have an elm door I can take apart to get the wood.

DIY olde-style.

Ivor

Sponsored Links
Having trailed round all our local builders merchants, Homebase, Wickes - where the staff were amazed to hear that in the olde days we used to make our own worktops - I went into a local hardware shop, Millington & Ramsted, and behind the counter they had Formica's sample chart hanging up, and Yes sir no problem to order a sheet. Four different whites, one of which was just called White, guess they ran short of silly names.

I'll stick it to 1" blockboard (prime the board with glue first and let it dry) and varnish the edges well to make sure the damp can't get in where it comes up against the end of the sink.

Be 'fun' fitting it against the wall, straight it ain't. Whoever fitted the existing worktops gave up and used a lot of silicone. I'll make a cardboard pattern, and from that a plywood pattern, and from that I can profile the worktop.

Afterwards I have to make the cutout for the hob and build the ventilated under-structure for the oven. I have an elm door I can take apart to get the wood.

DIY olde-style.

Ivor

Sounds ugly

DIY olde-style.

Ivor

Instead of cardboard and then ply to make a template just use some hardboard

Try stantons of weybridge

Thankyou. I used to live in Shepperton (says he, hurriedly editing his Profile), and now you mention the name I think that's where I bought the laminate in 1981. The showroom didn't exist then, as I recall. Amazing to see them still in business. Thankyou.

Next problem, having found some laminate, 1" blockboard has vanished. All I can find is 20mm and even that's not generally available. And, instead of being made of hardwood offcuts, it's made of softwood. Still better than particle board though.

As you as you take your eye off the ball for 32 years, it all changes.
Hmmmph!

Ivor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back