Where To Buy More Memory For Acer Desktop PC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The woefully inadequate 256 MB of DDR that my Acer Aspire T120E was originally supplied with, is now really struggling.

I reckon that I need to add a 1000 MB chip thingy to bring it up to a sensible level. Where is the best place to buy it?

Merry Chrimbo To All.

Sponsored Links
Run the Crucial Memory Scanner

http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.aspx?cpe=CHAWKuk

It will tell you what is installed, what you can install and the exact type that will work, either alongside or instead of your RAM.

The price is very much the same from Crucial as on ebay but Crucial guarantee that it will work on the computer that the scanner has scanned.

What OS have you got, XP ?
Two x 512MB sticks will be fine but you could go for:
Two x 1GB sticks would probably be more than enough for you.

dave

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

Dave.m - My o.s. is XP.

So am I right in thinking that it is easiest to leave the existing chip in, and add a 1 GB one? I have no experience of computer internals, I don't want to loose any files, etc!

Personally I would ditch the 256 and get two 1 gb sticks

Please be aware that if the max is 2 gb then the max per slot is 1gb if you have two slots (if one had 4 slots it would be 512mb)

I always use MrMemory in brighton- they dont oversell, free del, lifetime warranty, guaranteed etc

Call 01903 692 214

or http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/

Thanks for the info.

I have looked on the Mrmemory web site. On the upgrade info. page for my computer (Acer Aspire desktop T120E), it says

'IMPORTANT INFORMATION Install in identical pairs for dual channel mode. If you would like to purchase a 'kit of 2' modules as a guaranteed MATCHED PAIR, click the buy button and change the quantity to TWO'

What does this mean? What I really want to do is keep the existing 256 mb chip, and add a 1 gb one in the other slot. Does it mean I can't do this? What effect will it have, if I don't buy a matching pair for dual channel (whatever that is)?

This explains about dual channel mempry and matching pair memory modules.

They 'should' be a matching pair but two of the same size will usually work as dual channel.
What you were wanting to do, leave the 256 in and add a 1GB will not work as dual channel so you would lose all the benefits of having a d. c. computer.
Much better to add either 2 x 512MB (4 times your present RAM) or 2 x 1GB sticks (8 times your present RAM) and bin the old 256 stick. You would notice the difference in speed that way.

dave

Thanks Dave.

So, you are saying that although 2x 512MB would mean less memory than keeping my 256MB one and adding a new 1GB chip, being a balanced/dual channel pair, the 2x 512 would make my computer work better/faster?

Thanks Dave.

So, you are saying that although 2x 512MB would mean less memory than keeping my 256MB one and adding a new 1GB chip, being a balanced/dual channel pair, the 2x 512 would make my computer work better/faster?

Yes!

Keep it clean of unwanted programs, unwanted startup items, and keep it defragged and it should fly.

dave ;)

I'm confused again.

The Mrmemory site appears to suggest that my Acer T120E can support dual channel. However, the Crucial site definitely says it won't . How do I tell for sure, so that I don't waste my money?

Just looked at Crucial and they say No, so I would take their word for it, unless you have the Acer handbook and it says yes. I'm confused too!
I think the note in the Mr Memory site about dual channel is just a sales pitch.

As it appears to not be dual channel, buy two x 1GB sticks and install them, or two x 512MB.

Seemingly most of the sites that I have looked at suggest that your acer is not dual channel.

Unfortunately there is nothing of use in the acer manual and although the mobo is made by gigabyte (GA-7S741M) it is not listed on their site as it is propriety.

I am hoping that the mr memory sites results are a genuine mistake- I have sent them an email to clarify the situation- in the past I have always been impressed that they have not tried to sell me the most expensive option.

Sponsored Links
Back