Where to find info on groundworks and drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning an extension and am stupid enough to consider doing most of the work myself.

I have completed level 1 bricklaying at night classes via college and cavity walls are pretty straight fwd. Plastering, Tiling, basic joinery all within my capabilities.

I will use trades where I feel I cannot complete the jobs myself - for example roof framing, plus anywhere where certified trades are required, such as gas, wiring and windows.

I can find plenty of info on foundations, but there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive source of info for drainage.

I will need to knock down an existing attached garage, rebuild it, but 1500 mm wider, and then go above it with another bedroom and to enlarge the bathroom. I will need to move the waste stack from its current position to the outside perimeter of the new outer most wall of the garage.

Where is the best place to find info about soil stack, drains through foundations etc?

My paving expert is OK - any others? Books? Videos?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Basically drains need to run in straight lines, all runs must be accessible for rodding in the event of a blockage. To achieve that usual practice is to fit an inspection chamber at each change in direction. Lay to a 1:40 fall as a rule of thumb, bed in peagravel, lintel over where the pipe passes through walls. If it's a shared sewer or drains a neighbouring property but runs through your property, it is then the Water Company's sewer and you will require their permission to alter, move or build near to or over it. Anything else come back and ask. ;)

Some bedtime reading, Building Regs concerning drainage.:D
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....portal.gov.uk/uploads/br/br_pdf_ad_h_2010.pdf

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back