Where to get 'cheap' but reasonable quality toilets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are just finishing the inside of our two storey extension, this includes a en-suite toilet and seperate shower room.

I now need to purchase two white toilets, B&Q sometimes have ones for £59 but are these really going to last or are they just too cheap?
There is a reasonable range on eBay but again for £60 inc seat what are they going to be like.

Any suggestions on sources? (Budget is £60-80 each inc VAT)

Alternatively I could be persuaded to purchase the more European style concealed cistern such as http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A334794&ts=61866&id=42372

But what toilets are they compatible with and how easy are they to fit.

Sponsored Links
Forget Ebay as you will have all the hassle of sending it back thru the courrier service probably at your own cost in the event of a problem.

I would look at your local builders merchants. :D

The figures mentioned previously are my 'real' budget, however I may be persuaded to spend more for a hidden cistern as I think it will look a lot nicer. But I wouldn't be prepared to spend a lot more for a basic toilet and I don't know how much a toilet would be to go with a hidden cistern.

Sponsored Links
Paul_Thomas said:
The figures mentioned previously are my 'real' budget, however I may be persuaded to spend more for a hidden cistern as I think it will look a lot nicer.
OK. I think you should spend more and get a nice looking one. However, it would be beyond your real budget.

But I wouldn't be prepared to spend a lot more for a basic toilet and I don't know how much a toilet would be to go with a hidden cistern.
OK. It sounds as though you can't afford a nice looking one, and that you should stick to your real budget.

Paul_Thomas said:
The figures mentioned previously are my 'real' budget, however I may be persuaded to spend more for a hidden cistern as I think it will look a lot nicer. But I wouldn't be prepared to spend a lot more for a basic toilet and I don't know how much a toilet would be to go with a hidden cistern.

Avoid built in if thats your budget. The 'hidden' approach will cost at least £200 if you go for a wall hung toilet.

If you go to PTS ask if you can look at some of the pans (armitage/twyfords) as they all vary. If I were you I would avoid the ones with a trap the size of a coffee mug, unless you are a good aim.

Softus said:
OK. It sounds as though you can't afford a nice looking one, and that you should stick to your real budget.

Bit harsh, I am trying to be realistic on my budget. Trying to avoid the £60 from B&Q and wondering what you really get for the extra money - certainly compared to a £150-200 one.

Plumb Centre can do me a Dudley Phantom concealed cistern for £56+VAT and a back to wall toilet for £56.64 + VAT - TOTAL £133. More than I would have liked to spend but need to get wife to make final decision as she deals with asthetics!
They also do a basic WC with coupled cistern and seat for £85.66 (Twyford)

Paul_Thomas said:

Ask yourself "what am i going to use it for"??
Answer "Having a dump""!!
How much are you prepared to pay for a S**t receptacle??

Terrywookfit said:
Paul_Thomas said:

Ask yourself "what am i going to use it for"??
Answer "Having a dump""!!
How much are you prepared to pay for a S**t receptacle??

Point taken :LOL:

However the toilet room will be used by my wife's clients (Holistic Therapist) so needs to at least look reasonable.

If she does colonic irrigation I would suggest that you get a portaloo in the back garden!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No!!
When i want colnic irrigation I go out and have 8 pints of Guinness and A non vegetable Phaal!!
Thinking about it I might just install one round back of Garage!!

Terrywookfit said:
No!!
When i want colnic irrigation I go out and have 8 pints of Guinness and A non vegetable Phaal!!
Thinking about it I might just install one round back of Garage!!

Out local 'greasy spoon' has a hot chilli with chips and melted cheese, that'll clear you out - hotter on the way out than on the way in :oops:

Thats ok I always keep a couple of rolls of Andrex in the freezer!!

The worst part is when you forget and try to fart :eek: :eek: :oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back