Where to locate outlet for fitte double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am fitting a new kitchen that will have an eye level double oven. I will power it via a 6mm cooker cicuit. I have a cooker switch at worktop level that will run to a cooker outlet point in the cupboard (its a full height carcass that will house a 80mm double oven and two cupboards).

My question is: where is it recommended to put the cooker connection outlet point? Is it safe to go in the space that the oven will fit in? Or does it need to go the cupboard unit underneath (i was thinking to protect it to from heat).

I assume it is ok for it to directly behind the oven, about 1/3 way up vertically? I just want to check I am not missing anything important or obvious before I chase it in!

The spec for the oven we are thinking of oven buying says there is about 5cm space at the back when the oven us fitted. I would imagine they all leave enough space behind for a connection plate.....?

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You raise a good point, in the main built in ovens have cooling fans so the only time over heating can happen is with a power cut in which case no power is going through the cables, so it should not matter where the outlet is, it's more to do with access.

And any such overheating would be taking place inside the oven. But why would an oven have cooling fans? Surely the whole point of them is that they get hot?

Last edited:
You raise a good point, in the main built in ovens have cooling fans so the only time over heating can happen is with a power cut in which case no power is going through the cables, so it should not matter where the outlet is, it's more to do with access.

Thanks. There is a switch above the worktop, so no problem for isolation access. So - you would put it behind the oven?

Sponsored Links
The spec for the oven we are thinking of oven buying says there is about 5cm space at the back when the oven us fitted. I would imagine they all leave enough space behind for a connection plate.....?

It will depend on
1. The depth of your oven
2. The available depth in the cabinet. Note: You may need to remove the back to access the connection point!
So - you would put it behind the oven?

Yes, that's the normal place.

And any such overheating would be taking place inside the oven. But why would an oven have cooling fans? Surely the whole point of them is that they get hot?
Nearly all ovens today have fans not only inside the oven but also to keep parts outside the oven cool. In theroy the carcass should be matched to the oven so if the cooling fans stop due to power cut the amount of energy retained with the oven parts is not enough to over heat the carcass, and of course items stored in cupboards above the carcass. In practice we just hope all ovens will fit in all carcasses I have never looked at the kJoules of energy stored in oven or can be absorbed by the carcass. May be it's given in kWh never really looked. Even stand alone cookers have cooling fans both for hob electronics and oven.

Never cooked with gas I would expect there are still cooling fans and some auto shut down should the temperature rise too much, however gas cookers don't seem to have the same safety features as electric so may be they don't?

So where does the hot air extracted by the cooling come from? Inside the oven, or some other heat source? And where do they blow it? Into the oven housing, or are they vented into the room or to the outside?

Given the massive push for ever more efficient appliances, how does blowing heated air out of the oven make sense?

If there's a power cut, and the fans stop blowing hot air out of the oven, where would any heat come from to damage the oven housing?

I think it just vents air between the actual oven body and the carcass, presumably to prevent the carcass getting (too) hot - in the bottom and out the top.

I can never understand why my (actual) oven fan operates when just the grill is on, as does the oven thermostat, so that part way through grilling the cheese the element goes off for a while until cooled sufficiently to come on again - even with the door open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back