Cooker outlet locations with two built in ovens and query over fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit of advice as I'm overthinking my proposed setup for new ovens in the kitchen and therefore getting nowhere. Sorry for the length of post……

I have cooker circuit to the kitchen with a 32A MCB in the consumer unit, that comes into a 45A cooker switch above a worktop and next to a new tower unit that will house two ovens.

The main oven is rated at 12A and the second combi microwave also is rated at 12A.

Given the load of the two ovens isn't an issue, my initial thought was to take the output of the cooker switch to a 45A outlet behind the lower main oven and then run a length of cable behind the plasterboard from that outlet up to a position behind the combi oven to another outlet there.

The loading is well within the rating of the cable and outlets so I wasn't concerned from that point of view. However, the main oven was supplied with a cable without a plug (as I expected) and then the combi turned up with a standard plug on it.

So, that got me thinking about the protection on the circuit. Should both ovens be separately fused? Or is it OK to rely solely on the 32A MCB and the RCD in the consumer unit to protect both ovens?

My initial reaction was to place a socket on the wall for the second oven instead of a terminal outlet and plug it in but I’m now wondering whether I should have a mini consumer unit stuck in a cupboard and stick two 16A MCBs in, one for each oven and then chop the plug off and use a the outlet.

That then led me on to thinking about heat build up and the position of the outlets and flex from the ovens....

The appliance shelf in the unit does not go all the way to the back the cupboard, leaving a gap for ventilation, I’m now concerned that having the outlet positioned behind the top oven leaves the flex dangling in the gap at the back, above the first oven. There is a cupboard at the top of the unit, if I terminated the flex in there instead the supply to that point would still need to bridge the gap between plasterboard and cupboard, but up at the top above both ovens.

I probably being paranoid about the heat but I’d rather do this right.

Any input welcome! Cheers.

Sponsored Links
However, the main oven was supplied with a cable without a plug (as I expected) and then the combi turned up with a standard plug on it.
If the oven really is 12A then you could put a plug on it and connect two single sockets to the cooker switch.

So, that got me thinking about the protection on the circuit. Should both ovens be separately fused? Or is it OK to rely solely on the 32A MCB and the RCD in the consumer unit to protect both ovens?
It depends. Probably ok but you won't be able to tell.

My initial reaction was to place a socket on the wall for the second oven instead of a terminal outlet and plug it in but I’m now wondering whether I should have a mini consumer unit stuck in a cupboard and stick two 16A MCBs in, one for each oven and then chop the plug off and use a the outlet.
Pointless if you can have two sockets.

That then led me on to thinking about heat build up and the position of the outlets and flex from the ovens....
The flex supplied presumably is meant for the job.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back