where to run 3 phase cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you run a 3 phase cable accross the front of a car ramp on the floor or bring down from the ceiling to the motor at the top of the ramp? If run accross the floor in some type of sheathing/tube stuff would you consider it safe. There may be jacks etc banging into it and it will get wet and covered in oil from time to time.

Sponsored Links
guess i could do but if i need to move the ramp it is a pain to keep doing this. Why can i not just have the cable coming down from the roof rafter and connecting to the top of the ramp motor?

I have seen a large garage with a conduit drop to each motor from the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Much would depend on ceiling height as with high ceiling and one would assume with a ramp it is high then often too much of an unsupported drop so one ends up making stanchions to hold the conduit or tray and by time you have made an erected that in a place unlikely to be damaged by vehicles and / or reinforced it or placed barriers to stop it being damaged the under floor option starts to look better.

If the ceiling was too high, I would go for uni strut. 6m lengths are available.

I would prefer to see conduit in the floor though.

2 meter drop from beam to the top of the motor. And the motor is located 2.5 meters above the ground.

Anyway i have upset the spark who came to fit it as i said i want supplied from above so i can move ramp in future as not tried the ramp yet so it might be in wrong place for me, may need moving a couple of feet either way. I also only brought enough cable to get there from above. Anyway i returned back to garage to find sparky has gone and we are about 8 meters short on cable because the cable has been run around the exterior of the building but had not been secured yet and was drapped across tops of cars etc in my neighbours unit! ( about 40 meters rather than 20 meters if feed from above)

Well i was not pleased and the spark had said he will come back tomorrow. He was also now fitting isolator to a tempory partison (9mm thick plaster board, single sheet wall, which maybe moved also ) And he was going to run the cable around the base of the ramp which would involve a foot across walked on concrete and then 8x 90 degree bends around the steel feet and 2 meters accross the front of ramp where cars will drive up along with jacks raming into it , oil water etc being poured over it etc.

So after numerious calls to him not answering the phone to tell him i want it the other way as i had already asked for i decided to move the cable myself across the beem above and fixed correct for him ready to connect tommorrow ( i was guessing he was scared of heights and this is the reason why he had not done it this way in the first place)

However after finishing off we got an answer of the spark and he has now refused to finish the job because there is no way he can pass it off? I dont understand why this is? If there is some safety issue i can put it back for him to do the other way but i really cant see what the problem is and in my eyes is far safer rather than contaminating the cable with water/oil and raming the cable with jacks etc doing it his way.

Is there something im missing here? O and plus it will cost me alot more in materials his way!

If you design and install you must sign the paperwork to say that you are responsible for that part the form will allow three signatures one for design one for install and one for inspection and testing. How ever much we may think the spark is a little heavy handed he is correct in what he says about signing off.
Under health and safety ladders are for going up and down not working off and either scaffold or a cherry picker is required in most cases to work at height I think 1.6 meters is limit without hand rails etc.
I had to take my cherry picker test to do jobs of this type and the hire is not cheap. Even quick form scaffold is not cheap or quick to erect and dismantle.
By time you include all the hire charges it is often cheaper to use under floor method.
Many places use power track where machines may be moved so they can be just plugged in although it will reduce cost of moving items latter again first install is not cheap.
Remember you are responsible for what people do on your premises I have had to expel electricians in the past for walking on perlins and going on a roof without a safety harness or hand rails if the HSE catch him both he and you will be fined not just him. I would have turned a blind eye if it had not been seen by others and if the electrician has upset neighbours then I would think you need to follow the rules at lest as far as they can see.
Eric

Seeing as the cable is surface mounted and not buried, there is no rerason why he cannot certify it and give you a certificate for the job. Provided it has been installed correctly and not more than the recommended spacings between cleats etc there is no reason why he cannot do it i reckon he is busy elsewhere and dont want the job. Get another sparks in and as soon as he sees the cables been run in for him he will complete your job and certify aswell.

Nick

Under health and safety ladders are for going up and down not working off and either scaffold or a cherry picker is required in most cases to work at height I think 1.6 meters is limit without hand rails etc.
Think they have changed "working at height" to anywhere where you can fall now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back