Where to start with L shaped floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm due to lay engineered wood flooring in an L shaped room. Where would people start? The new extension is square/true then I'm meeting the original building which runs out at an angle (subtle but wood floor will show it as owner wants floor to run in same direction). The new extension is concrete, the original floor is wooden. I'd appreciate any advice and sorry if this is a tad unclear, Thank you

Sponsored Links
Start at against longest wall furthest from original house and work back to it.
How are you laying, ? self adhesive underlay is useful where you have a concrete floor.

Hello foxhole, thank you so much for reply. Unfortunately they want the wood run the other way. I can't explain it though. My colleague says to start with the original area but I thought to start at the new area to get a square start...

Personally, I'd start at the original flooring. Although the extension might be square, the original part of the building may well not be. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Hello foxhole, thank you so much for reply. Unfortunately they want the wood run the other way. I can't explain it though. My colleague says to start with the original area but I thought to start at the new area to get a square start...
Depends what the 'L' you mean.?

I'd start at the original floor too. If I'm reading this correctly one part of the L is original and the other is new so assuming there isn't a door there to break up the lines. If so then the clear space between new and old will be more visable so should be laid to look right there. Any tapering boards should then be at the opposite end and will more than likely be hidden by furnature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back