Fixing Wall Bed mechanism to floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope this is the correct forum section for my question.

I have to install one of these. Fixing to the wall is not an option, so it has to be fixed to the wooden floor. The floor looks to me like it is a wooden floor that has been laid over the original floor. It's a basement flat and the room is 50 cm or so above the rest of the floors, with steps going up. The exterior brickwork looks to be the same age/style as the rest of the building so I'm guessing it's not a modern extension.
There is a radiator in the room with pipes going into the floor, which makes me think there is a space under the floor as opposed to it being a concrete floor with a wood floor laid on top.
Can any of you advise me on how to best asses the floor and what fixings to use (considering the fairly heavy duty usage/operation of the heavy bed mechanism) I have 5 mm coach screws in mind, but they are only going to work if there is enough wood for them to bite into and enough space the other side of the floorboards.
There is also the added problem that the tabs that are welded to the frame, through which the floor fixings will go, are not flush with the floor. I could try bending them, but that's not ideal. What I'm most trying to achieve is a fix that has no undesired movement so as to not come loose over time.
I'm pretty certain there is no electric wiring under the floor, but I am a bit worried about radiator pipes, is pluming laid out to a convention in a similar way to wiring?

Sorry for the overly long post and thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Sponsored Links
Why is wall fixing not an option? Pipes in floor is no indication of construction. You need to lift a floorboard to check.

Hi, There is skirting on the wall and wooden strips on the floor along the skirting, I'm guessing they cover the gap left by the floating floor. This leaves the vertical edge of the frame about 30-40 mm from the wall. I'm not sure what kind of floor it is, it doesn't have gaps between the boards, so maybe it was glued. It will be a major pain to take up the wooden floor, then the floorboards underneath, to see whats there.

Sponsored Links
I think that is the probably the only solution. cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back