Fixing Solid Wood flooring... to a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an odd one this.

I have a customer of mine who wants to try something different, namely fixing solid wood to a ceiling. I'm talking about the tongue and groove planks normally found in living rooms and dining rooms. I know how to fix it to a floor, but this has me baffled.

Has anyone had any experience fixing to a ceiling before and if so, how did you do it? I'm unsure of the surface to be fixed to, so multiple options would be great!

Cheers in advance
Paul

Sponsored Links
Battens I would say (at least 50mm thick) to the ceiling, then secret nailing the floor to it.
(You've got all sorts of clients!)

i take it youve told them about normal 9mm thick txg with nice chamferd edges ;)

my concerns would be the weight you now have the eqivilent of around 1/4 to 1/2 a ton hanging off the ceiling

if you are shure off the structural strength and are determined to go ahead i personaly would use 2x1" sawn timber for battons at 24 to 30" centres

i would use 50mm nails as you are nailing from the top off the tounge to the ceiling which is around 37mm at 45degrees =around 51mm

also if your in the least worried use a bead of no nails top and bottom of the batton for extra fixing
making shure you only cover an area you will reach within around 10 mins

Paul - battens (2 x 1) screwed to ceiling joists, either through the existing plaster or better still - remove all the plaster to gain direct access to the joists. This will enable you to true everything-up (shims, etc.) to gain a flat plane for the bats. Use a brad nailer (15g brads) or finish nailer through the tongues to fix (secret); you'll not be able to use a floor cleat nailer satisfactorily in this position (upside-down). Anyway, if they really do want that 70s notty pine look (yuk) consider big-all's advice about thin pine cladding.

Sponsored Links
don't use chunky 15-22mm tongue and groove get some 6mm matchboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back