Wood cladding on curved surfaces in campervan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a campervan and I want to put wood on the ceilings and walls- either tongue and groove or floor boards. Is it posible to fit this kind of wood on curved surfaces. Below are two images of the kinds of vans I'm interested in.

Would it feasible in either of these interiors. If so what would I need to do?

Any advice greatefully received.

Mike

Sponsored Links
problems you may have

you will drasticly increase the weight of the vehicle

you will have difficulty fixing to what is probably 3mm ply and may pull the interior off the van

if you do go ahead with wood you will need to sellect you cladding carefully and choose stuff thats cupping nicely but you can only use this trick in one dimention at a time ;)
this would preclude the use battons and would require the use of no nails or simmilar but again at the risk of pulling down the interiour :oops:

you can get plastic cladding thats a lot lighter but won't bend uniformly/evenly accross the plank

i personaly would go for a good clean and a coat of paint

Thanks big-all

I fairly sure it can be done without destroying the interior as I have seen it done before.

Here is an example from another vehicle

It looks pretty sweet and I'd love to do something like this with a bigger vehicle. Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
you realy need to find the supports and decide what they are made from and how wide they are !!!

for example if they are aluminium you can drill a 4mm hole and use no6x3/4"screws through the face off 9mm cladding

if they are wooden you could pin through the tounge with 1" pins in a pin gun backed up with a bit off gripfill/no nails/ect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back