wheres all the work gone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi been flat out doing carpentry and building work for last 8 years now nothing, been sitting at home for the last 3 weeks just had the odd day here and there seems to be hard to find work out there and the phone isnt ringing anymore is it just me or is everyone finding it hard. :( :confused:

Sponsored Links
If it's residential dwellings you work on, either people don't want the disruption of tradesmen over the christmas period or are trying to save a little money and not have the work done, until they can afford it.

AS PBD says, residential has dried up because everyone is being extremely cautious with what cash they have got & concentrating on Christmas at the moment.

The building trade is just as bad; property prices are dropping like a stone but new properties are struggling to sell because no one can get a mortgage now without a huge deposit, unless trading down or have a huge cash stash, yer average joe has got virtually no chance.

All but the very large developers seem to be closing sites down until after Christmas, a close friend of mine is still working his two small sites up to Christmas but he can’t sell any of them them. Luckily for him there is a huge demand for decent rental properties at the moment (because no one can get a mortgage) so he’s finishing them off & renting them out.

He’s completed about half but is fast running out of working capital to keep the whole processgoing going & the trades employed.

The bank won’t lend him a penny either & the same bank once allowed him a 6 figure overdraft facilty :eek:

Sponsored Links
iv had the same this year its crap i do domestic 90% of the time but comm has dropped off too had a few days here and there so heres to january when everyones been paid again MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone and have a few stellas and enjoy the peace and quiet for a while lol

Had a great month in November, frozen condensate pipes. Really slow now, but should pick up to-wards end of this week when the big freeze is due to return.

No other work coming in at the moment though.

Well from a customer view, there does not seem a problem, or if there is, it is not being reflected in lower quotes, around West Yorks.

eg Roofing--replace a few slates, re-fix flashings and repoint chimney , clear gutters, with scaffold, on terrace house, £2900 plus VAT.

Roofing,--remove and replace ridge tiles to all roof and hips, with scaffold., on "decent size" modern 2 storey 4 bed detach. £1500 plus VAT.

(3 quote basis, good access)
Don't wish to seem a vulture, but supply and demand does not fit with current experience.

Well from a customer view, there does not seem a problem, or if there is, it is not being reflected in lower quotes, around West Yorks.

eg Roofing--replace a few slates, re-fix flashings and repoint chimney , clear gutters, with scaffold, on terrace house, £2900 plus VAT.

Roofing,--remove and replace ridge tiles to all roof and hips, with scaffold., on "decent size" modern 2 storey 4 bed detach. £1500 plus VAT.

Don't wish to seem a vulture, but supply and demand does not fit with current experience.

Don't worry Tone, we're all kidding.

We're rolling in it really. We have to plead poverty to get the revenue off our backs, so we can get a chance to launder the proceeds of all our cash jobs, and convert it into yachts in the Med. ;)

Good to hear an honest view!
Enjoy the weather in the Med--its damn cold around here.

But I am just making the point. Supply and demand along with marginal costings dependant on labour availability and yet still needing some contribution to fixed overheads should lead to some very cheap rates at periods of economic downturn. It is not comfortable, but may be preferable to nil incomings.

(It is irrelevant, but the quotes were to an organisation operated solely by unpaid volunteers----makes you think if some builder with spare time would be interested!! )

That`s because half of roofers are ****** and Chancers and Oirish Tinkers :mrgreen:

I've seen, and heard of people getting some ridiculous quotes for all sorts of building and roofing work, so I can only assume that builders still have lots of work to be going on with, and are not yet ready to lower their charges

To echo what TonyW2 is saying; I have 3 projects on offer right now: 2 single skin/storey garage extensions, a concrete base for a stable block and a fitted study cabinet. I have had quotes for each of these that even the architect has declared as rediculous.

I'd much rather get a professional in to do them and am even willing to take the risk (materials, quantities, etc.). I am also not trying to screw a bargain.

I can only assume that there is a lot of work still out there or the weather/season has been heavily factored into the prices.

It is OK, I can wait or subcontract/DIY.

Merry Christmas.

plenty work but you gota hunt for it.
as for prices gotta go wit the flow hope it gets better SOON!! :D

Manic here.

Burst pipes, frozen condensates.

Two drain downs tomorrow - cylinder coil gone at one house - a new cylinder going in, and a motorised valve / new pump and valves at the other one.

Oh, and a new gas valve on an old bermuda if I have time. If not, Ill do it Thursday.

Happy days.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
Back