Which adhesive for stone veener.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got a concrete block workshop which I intend to clad in cast stone to improve it's look.

Can someone recommend an adhesive?

I've used a cement based adhesive by dunlop in the past when I tiled my bathroom. It claims to be able handle stone and was indeed seriously strong stuff. (I had to take two tiles off after a mistake and they did not leave the wall without a fight!) However, it's over £20 a bag and I would need lots of bags.

I have read on-line that some folk use mortar for attaching the stone. To keep costs down I would prefer to go down this route but I'm concerned that my mortar won't be 'sticky' enough.
Can someone recommend a recipe for attaching cast stone?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Sponsored Links
In the 1930s the bathroom tiles where fixed with cement base mortar and they do not come off at all, so it can be done. I think the secret is to get a very good coverage (> 95%) behind the tile. The air pressure then keeps the tile stuck on the wall and the only problem is that of it slipping down which can be stopped with spacers. Cement/sharp sand based render sticks on up to an inch thick.
I don't know how much suction your surfaces have or the likely mortar bed thickness. I think these :- http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Na...Adhesive+Grout/Floor-Adhesive+Grout/c/1000038 two 25 KG types are on offer at present and I think I would be tempted to use one off them as an adhesive. Grout later when adhesive has gone off.
Frank

Thanks for the heads up on the wickes adhesive. That's cheaper than my local builders merchant. (Selco)
If all else fails I will go with that.

Has anyone here had any experience with additives improving the 'stickiness' or adhesion of mortar?
I've read about some latex additives for improving adhesion.
Here's one which sounds like it could be useful.
http://www.selcobw.com/products/bui...nt-additives-dyes/bond-it-sbr-admixture-5-ltr
It claims to "Improve adhesion of cementitious screeds" Will that help me stick stone veneer to a wall?

On American sites, they refer to a mortar mixture called thinset, but I can't find a British equivalent. Can any here clarify what thinset is?

Cheers.

Ian

Thats an SBR product and its good for sticking stuff DOWN. I have tried to use it in render and I reckon that it actually makes it slide down the wall.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Thanks! That could have been a messy mistake.

My final decision is to go with a cement based tile adhesive.

Thin set is a cementitious powdered tile adhesive - there are internal and external varieties.
Its a universally used name in the tiling industry - no one owns it.
Lots of thin-sets now come with latex powder already mixed in.

You could bulk up exterior t/s and prep the wall surface with SBR.
However, there is a custom (probably expensive) "adhesive" for what you propose.

Cast stone - if you are referring to "Faux Stone" has a well deserved bad reputation, not least because of the sometimes difficulties in detailing around doors and windows etc and its capacity to absorb moisture or create water damage.
When installed on houses its cost some owners thousands in loss when selling.

i would use a bag of quick setting floor and wall tile adhesive, the kind you mix yourself
the fact that it dries quickly lets you crack on
if your going to be mixing sand and cement like they used to do years ago (i think it was a very strong cement mix to make it so hard and sticky to use) your going to be waiting ages for it to set, in which case your not going to able to do much at a time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back