which alarm system... galaxy, menvier, texecom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a place and would like to take out the noise maker that the previous owners had installed. currently the setup isn't the most ideal config in terms of sensors, locations etc... so I will be replacing all this.

I also will be adding some form of personal alerting to myself/partner should certain conditions happen. I would like a panel that can handle rf fobs, can have a fire zone, and a security zone (which will only set off internal sounders or alerts) etc....

looking around at some second hand panels and would appreciate some advice. I am fairly competent in IT, electrics, electronics, etc... and not afraid to research, test etc.... I do not have a big budget in place (what with just purchasing a new house and doing a lot of work) but would like to get a reasonable system that can protect me, my home and castle and whomever is in the house.

I have done a little research and the galaxy panels seem to be the preferred choice for most. I know this will be a learning curve to setup the system but I am prepared for the task. If I was to purchase one from the internet as a standalone system (unmonitored) what codes would I need to ensure I obtained from the seller so that I had 100% control over it? also what model would you jolly good folk recommend?

also can the galaxy systems be setup/maintained/configured etc... via pc software?

Thank you and regards.

Michael :)

Sponsored Links
If going for Galaxy, I would advise going for a G2 series for domestic. If you want to include some sort of home automation at a later date, then step up a bit to the Dimension panel which is about twice the physical size.

For self monitoring at lowest cost, then IP is probably the best way to go, although the G2 does also support SMS via PSTN, but I don't bother with that. You could also go for a GSM based system, but the cost of the GSM module will be about the same as the whole system.

If going for a G2 or Dimension panel, ensure that you get the latest firmware. For second hand panels, the Dimension is easily defaulted. The G2 series is a little more fiddly, but not impossible. At £30 for a new G2-12 panel on Ebay, it may not be worth getting a second hand unit.

The Galaxy systems are modular, so you can buy the main control panel and keypad, then add an RF portal to enable radio devices / RF fobs at a later date. The IP module which enables self monitoring and phone based keypad control can also be added at a later date.

So, a new panel will cost about £30 and the keypad about the same from Ebay. The C079 RF modules usually sell for around £40 and a new low cost Ethernet module £49.

You can use Honeywell's RSS software to program the unit from your laptop. The software can connect to the panels via the IP module over Ethernet, or via Galaxy USB cables.

thank you for taking the time to reply back. I am looking at some G2 but a few of the reasonable priced ones say they will need resetting/defaulting. is this to be avoided as it will be something I wont be able to do myself?

I am also now looking into the dimension as the price seems reasonable with the added features that I could utilize :) but again is they need resetting/defaulting can I easily do this?

will both series allow me to set different outputs/sirens etc... for different zones? also would the manuals/software be available to me or are these something that I would only be able to program/interface via the key panel? and hope to find a manual online (if not supplied)

what would you recommend out of a G2-12 for £35 or Dimension 48 for £100.?

Thanks again

If you have the space, then the Dimension is better. I have this at home and also have it doing things like opening the garage door on a separate code and controlling external lighting. I also have the IP module connected to self monitor and get event messages to my phone and e-mail.

All inputs and outputs are fully programmable across the range. If you want to have different sirens going off for different zones, then you will probably need to implement groups and then have a separate output for each group. There are many ways to configure the panels, with the Dimension offering more flexibility - it all depends what you're looking to do though.

If you want more information, PM me and I'll discuss along with your other concerns on defaulting.

Sponsored Links
.........................If you want more information, PM me and I'll discuss along with your other concerns on defaulting.
So you are going to pass on how to default what is a professional alarm control panel?

I haven't asked anyone for specific details on resetting/defaulting or procedure as I know this is a hot topic. I was just enquiring about if this is something that can be taken on by myself or ensuring I get all the codes from the seller and getting general information on setting up etc...

soc has been most helpful with his public posts in helping me choose which panel and offering advice and help and his time and I thank him for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back