Which board to tile onto inside gas cooker alcove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I've built a stud partition with extractor hood around a gas cooker so it sits inside. I want to tile inside the alcove but don't know what boarding to put inside. The gas burners are obviously close to the sides. Should I use flameboard or something like aquapanel as it is cement? Any help gratefully received! Richard

Sponsored Links
The gas burners are obviously close to the sides. Should I use flameboard or something like aquapanel as it is cement?
What do you mean by “the gas burners close to the sides”, are you saying you’ve boxed the cooker hob in on 3 sides?

Yes- as you see in the brochures where there is a side wall about 2/3 down the left and right, and there's a chimney breast above with a canopy hood extractor- a standard layout for a 'range' cooker. At the moment, there's a gap of about 28mm between the studs and the cooker sides to allow for tiles/ board..... whatever that may be......... Thanks.

I have a 900mm range cooker with extractor hood over but it looks nothing like you describe. I'm still not clear what youve done, can you post a photo?

Sponsored Links
Do you do any cooking? Closing the hob in on the sides will make the outside burners difficult to access (the handles will have to face inwards) & trap the heat making standing in front of the hob uncomfortably hot. The following is an extract from the regulations that govern the installation of gas cookers;

A minimum clearance of 750mm is required above a gas hob to a cooker hood. The gap maybe reduced to 727mm above a gas hob but the hood must be cleaned regularly to prevent a fire hazard.
Wall units fitted to the side of a hob must be at least 366mm above. A minimum clearance of 300mm is required either side of the hob if installing next to a wall or a unit made from flammable material.

I would advise you consider the possible consequences of your design as you will almost certainly invalidate the warranty on the cooker but could also invalidate your house insurance as well in the event of a fire.

OK- Thanks for this. Quite liked the design in the picture, but all you say make sense. I guess I shouldn't be swayed by kitchen designers.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back