Tiling a Kitchen alcove and cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm going to tile an alcove and cupboard in my kitchen that the previous owners left out and now keep gathering kitchen mess!

I'm trying to compile a shopping list of the things I need, I'm on a budget so don't want to buy things I don't need for such a small job.

For info, I have 300mmx300mm by 8\9mm floor tiles. I have to make up 27mm(+3mm in the lower part) to the tile surface from the concrete floor.

The floor isn't level as there is a 3mm ridged rise where a there used to be a partition wall.

I'm not sure if there is a dpm. The house(waites construction) is built on a concrete float and there is no sign of damp through the floor.

The existing tiles are on top of adhesive and then 10mm insulating foam board with hard faces.(there is underfloor heating, but I'm not using it as the electrics look dodgy!)

So my questions if anyone can help
1) Is my best bet to lay some new insulting board under the new tiles to make up the depth more accurately? or could I just fill make this up with the spare adhesive(or maybe there is a practical maximum to the thickness of the adhesive)? Or can I just infill with and and cement first and put the adhesive and tiles on top of that, I'm thinking I would have to wait weeks for this to dry?

2) If I use insulating board do I then have to buy the more expensive flexible grout?

2) Either way, do I need to level with floor leveling compound first?

3) Do I need to seal the concrete with something first, e.g. neoprene primer or just normal PVA or something like that?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back