Which boiler is best?

The vailant I had installed the plumber could not big it up enough. He said to me he would fit any boiler I wanted but recommended that for efficiency, low faults, easy to work with. Coming from someone who is not accredited to a certain make and has no other reason to fit something good other than it will last and stop me calling him I thought that was a good choice.

Another deciding factor for me was noise the boiler is in my kitchen below bedroom and the potterton would wake me up in the winter when it came on. The vailant is whisper quiet.

Where exactly is your locale? 20 miles North of London! Town? Hertfordshire?
May know your installer!?

Sponsored Links
Beleave me mate, I'm all over a lot of different makes of new boilers. Depending on the boiler, but with Vaillant you could just be getting a re-badged Glow Worm!!

Vaillant in general are good & most of their boilers are OK. Their Technical support can by poor & their MIs are shocking!! Is the additional expense worth it for a box full of plastic bits?? No, Baxi is the better boiler.

Vaillant's marketing is so good they've dropped from 1 to 4 in sales not helped either by poaching service work, charging for callouts under warranty and applying the terms strictly. Good boilers but not as good as they used to be, then again neither am I. Loads of installers say they know them but do not intimately.

Baxi used to be the best heat only in my book years ago but not anymore though no worse than any of the others.

Boilers going on an older system previously open vented so one tolerant to debris would help, cleaning and dirt separators are not perfect.

The installer is just as important than the boiler, not only the depth of his knowledge but also the quality of the work. Nearly all the poor installers will talk a good game: do you expect a cowboy to turn up with 'I do rubbish work' on the letterhead and polo shirt.

Recommendation.

Nest looks good on the wall and is internet connected but in useage only one way and to the roomstat, look for some that connects to the boiler so you have two way control of the whole system. Accessories to nest are good.

Last edited:
Nest looks good on the wall and is internet connected but in useage only one way and to the roomstat, look for some that connects to the boiler so you have two way control of the whole system. Accessories to nest are good.

Not sure what you mean by this part but the gen 3 Nest is fully opentherm compatible

Sponsored Links
The boiler might be able to do something but the control might not Razor.

The first thing an OT control does is ask the boiler what can you give me regarding information but it does not mean the control can use it.

I asked Nest at PHEX could it display boiler alarms or failures, notify the user and offer the option to reset a locked out boiler but they were not sure. They were going to pop in and try but I heard nothing.

After the launch of Nest 3 which was advertised as fully open therm compatible it turned out it was not at all. Although it's been upgraded now I believe I'd go with Ronald Reagan on this one, trust but verify.

Recommendation.

Nest lacks quite a lot of features you'd hope from a programmable stat and often tries to be too clever (but fails). Unless you've already bought into the system, Evohome is a better choice.

I've just had a look at the spec sheets for the different boilers. They look to be fairly different. Not least the outputs. the Valliant being (presumably) 15ks and the Baxi being 24kw.

I've asked the installers. The Valliant installer recommend smaller so it is working harder and condensing more regularly, the Baxi installer recommends bigger so it isn't working at full capacity all the time and has a better hot water recover time.

What do others thing regarding this?

Thanks

CD

7 year warranty on both options. Presumably an option to extend if required after 7 years.
Call me old fashioned but deffo old,extended boiler warranties are a fairly newish thing and are often used to sell boilers,the likes of BG hate them as they lose business and cannot compete.
Dont know the warranty conditions but i would be more in favour of a warranty if you can call your own installer to do the periodic inspection's and any repairs,your installer will understand your system and will be a very good person to have on speed dial to do any other work around your property :!:.
Again being old fashioned,i have found many insurance type business's happy to alter their terms&conditions to work in their favour,so a warranty in year 10 could be very different than year 1.
Is wear&tear included in the warranty,for example your boiler needs a fan in year 6 is this covered ?

Plase dont think i am against extended warranties,just had the AA pay for a new power steering pump on a vauxhall (well they paid some,not all :().

Good luck,

I've just had a look at the spec sheets for the different boilers. They look to be fairly different. Not least the outputs. the Valliant being (presumably) 15ks and the Baxi being 24kw.

I've asked the installers. The Valliant installer recommend smaller so it is working harder and condensing more regularly, the Baxi installer recommends bigger so it isn't working at full capacity all the time and has a better hot water recover time.

What do others thing regarding this?

Thanks

CD

With a modulating stat and undersized boiler in a house the boiler will be working at high temps so not condensing. If incredibly undersized it could never acheive the required flow temp so would condense a lot but of course would not be able to acheive comfort levels either.

An oversized boiler would need to have a wide modulation range, maybe 7 to 1 or higher and hot water recovery would be dependant on the hot water cylinder coil, not the boiler output primarily.

Keep looking at installers.

My opinion is 80% of the boiler life will be determined by the installer and the quality of the service, not the name on the badge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back