Which Bolts? Bolt Down Post Shoe 100 x 100mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used Powapost Bolt Down Post Shoe 100 x 100mm?

What size bolts did you use?

Can find no info on manufacturers site or anywhere, am shielding so cannot visit store nor can I get in contact with the retailer for info (or at least have contacted them but not heard back).

Also please let me know what depth of bolt would be best, am fitting 2 meter posts.

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Sponsored Links
Are you using them for fenceposts?

Bolt-down fenceposts are fundamentally unsound.

Consider, if you wanted to pull out a 2-inch nail, you might use a claw hammer, and the length of the handle would give you leverage to wrench it out.

Now you propose to put a 2-meter long levers on a screw.

What will happen when the wind blows?

They are OK on sheds, pergolas, railings and carports that don't have this single-sided force trying to push them over. In such places, I use a concrete pad with a 150mm x M8 or M10 stainless carriage screw into a giant plasplug. You can also use anchor bolts, but rain tends to run into the hole and cause ordinary steel to rust severely.

Thanks JohnD

I hear what you are saying.

I am using 1 in the middle of a run of posts, its because the posts are going up along a short wall.

The foundations in one area are much wider stopping me from fitting a post without breaking up the foundations very close to the wall. Annoyingly its right next to a curve in the wall so I want to get a post in to fit the fence neatly around the bend.

Where did you get the giant plasplugs can't find any of this size, am I missing something?

I think they might have been Frame Fixings. I picked up a bag somewhere. Some were grey, and some orange/brown. The brown ones were biggest. I think ordinary frame fixings are about M6. You will need an SDS+ drill.

if you are casting the concrete new, you can put in stainless studding, with a few nuts on it, which can be much longer.

Where possible, I sink concrete spurs, and bolt wooden fence posts to them. This avoids rot.

I have a house in a coastal area, with strong gales, and now put decking boards (you can buy them about 4500mm long) on the faces at the top, bolted to three posts, and overlapped, in the belief that it prevents any one post from moving too much because it is braced against the one on either side. I also brace to walls or sheds when possible. This might not work if yours are on a curve, because the boards will try to straighten themselves. At the moment I have a couple that I need to haul back with pulleys and peg down, that I did not use the bracing trick on. You can also brace with a "lintel" across gateposts, and this resists lean from the weight of the gates.

Lets hope you don't get such bad winds.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back