which brand for deck stain and how to re-stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i need to re-stain existing decking. few questions if someone can help. sorry if some of these sound daft. i am not very good at diy and so would apprecite some help.

current decking stain is a wickes one which is waterbased and green colour. wickes dont make same product so i plan to re-stain using similar colour from other brand.

1) when i previously asked on the forum i was advised to use pressure washer to remove existing green colour stain (it is a stain and not paint). Silly question but people use pressure washe to clean their decks. So doesnt it come off when cleaning normally or do i need some special pressure washer with higher pressure than the standard one with 120 or 140 bar pressure.

2) I understand there may be a risk to damage the decking boards with pressure washer. Any tips? how far should i hold it from the board?

3) if previous stain is already peeling off (as it is in my case on the horizontal boards at least) do i need to pressure wash it or is there a product like stain remover that may work?

4) is brush the best option to re-stain?

5) when re-staining any particular brand? i have a smallish patio (about 8m by 4 m) so i dont mind if i have to buy a slightly expensive brand.

6) is a water based stain better than solvant based?

7) do i need to apply any sort of oil to the decking to protect decking prior to staining?

8) do i need to sand the decking after painting? if so, what grade sand paper do i use? may try to hire an electric one..

ta

Sponsored Links
You certainly don't need to remove the existing stain, mostly what you see is the color pigment which has been absorbed into the wood. Power wash or a good deck scrub to the existing surface, slosh with lots of water if deck scrubbing, allow to dry and test the new stain in an out of the way area, if alls fine re stain...seemples.

Good luck...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back