Which butt hinges for external / exterior doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I thought this might be a simple choice but it does not seem to be the case.

I need to get some hinges for a new back door and some french doors. I would like 4"/100mm butt hinges in black.

I found the Eclipse 14920 and the Frelan/Jedo J9500. These were recommended by a couple of ironmongers, and some sites list them as suitable for exterior use....

But then as I shopped around for price, some shops said they would not be suitable. Tired of hearing contrary views, I called both Eclipse and Frelan. They both said that they do not recommend them for outside use.....

So I'm wondering if anyone here has used either of these or similar... They are both Grade 13. Also interested to hear people's views and recommendations for any other hinges that would be more suitable....

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Well you learn something every day. I've hung quite a few doors over my many years of DIY, inside and out. Generally I've just used plain 4" steel butts regardless and then painted them in with the doors.

As for grades and inside/outside suitability ..... god knows!

why do you want black?

Plain steel will rust.

now that prices have come down, I much prefer stainless for external doors, with stainless screws. On my stained hardwood front door I used stainless with PVD brass, but you could spray paint them if you wanted a dark colour.

Lift-off are even better, as they make it so easy to take off and rehang a heavy external door so you can repaint the top and bottom thoroughly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back