Which Cable Gland?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size should I be using to terminate 4mm 3-core 6493X SWA?

Advice online seems to tend towards 20S however some sources recommend 20.

If I look at Prysmian specs (the cable is Prysmian though I haven't bought any glands yet) - they quote the cable as 15mm outside diameter and 10mm under armour.

The glands only quote a maximum under armour diameter which is 11.6 for the 20S and 13.9 for the 20 - suggesting both would be fine but the 20S potentially a better fit. The cable dimensions are quoted at 8.0 - 15.8 and 11.7 - 20.8 putting the cable pretty much at the limit for the 20S and roughly in the middle for the 20.

So - should I tend towards the bigger gland (will this be easier to fit with the cable not being at the limit?) or will the smaller be a better fit? Or am I overthinking it?

Sponsored Links
What size should I be using to terminate 4mm 3-core 6493X SWA?

Advice online seems to tend towards 20S however some sources recommend 20.

If I look at Prysmian specs (the cable is Prysmian though I haven't bought any glands yet) - they quote the cable as 15mm outside diameter and 10mm under armour.

The glands only quote a maximum under armour diameter which is 11.6 for the 20S and 13.9 for the 20 - suggesting both would be fine but the 20S potentially a better fit. The cable dimensions are quoted at 8.0 - 15.8 and 11.7 - 20.8 putting the cable pretty much at the limit for the 20S and roughly in the middle for the 20.

So - should I tend towards the bigger gland (will this be easier to fit with the cable not being at the limit?) or will the smaller be a better fit? Or am I overthinking it?

Overthinking ! we don't do that round here :D

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Its borderline. 20s usually, but some cable manufacturers (the better ones), it will need a 20.

As lectrician says, that is an iffy size, 20s can be tight and 20 sometimes seems loose, sometimes the CW glands give more leeway to tighten up on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back