Which central heating filter to install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did some searches here and the question appears to be quite a can of worms! :LOL:

I have a Valliant 282e which has a secondary heat exchanger which is clogging up on a regular basis. I do flush and put in inhibitor in every year - but regardless, this is happening. I think I need a filter. I'd rather spend a bit more and put a quality product which needs only a clean every 6 months or a year. What I don't want is something which is going to give me other kinds of grief.

So the trade-offs seem to be longevity/leaks against performance. The Spirotech doesn't seem to leak and is solid - but doesn't filter as well, though it does both ferrous and non-ferrous particles. The Magnatec filters very very well - but only ferrous particles. The Fernox device, might leak, and filters both ferrous and non-ferrous.

Which one would you install - have Magnatec solved the leaking issues?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. I'd go for either the Adey MagnaClean or the Spirotech. The MagnaClean has the advantage that you can use it to add inhibitor, which you can't with the Spirotech. If properly installed, neither of them should have leakage problems. Personally prefer the Spirotech as its solid.

2. If its the domestic hot water side of the secondary heat exchanger clogging up, then a filter won't do any good. You'd need to fit a water softener.

Personally I wouldn't touch a magnaclean with a barge pole, they may catch the most dirt but I have twice had the plastic threads shear off in my hands while cleaning them (luckily both times iso valves were closed). Fernox Omegas are now nickel plated brass so a cross between a spiro & magnaclean. The magnet is smaller than a magnaclean but they aren't going to disintegrate on you 7-8 years down the line.

I have a Spiro on my system (pre magnet) and it catches next to nothing. How a MB3 compares to a magnaclean or Omega? Dunno but I would assume the magnet being in the system water rather than external would be a better design.

Just my personal opinion.

Sponsored Links
TF1 Omega.

Plumbcenter do a 22mm kit with valves and inhibitor in spray can for £85 inc.

I love 'em (y)

Bet whatever you fit won't make any difference at all to your plate blocking up

Explain what happens ( the boiler)when you have problems with the plate/ex,
E.g
Do you have reduced hw flow rate ?
Is it just hw temperature?

Does your boiler keep cutting out ?

You know that sort of description, then you might get to the real problem ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back