Which chemical paint stripper ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a shop which was built in 1896, so I guessing it will have lead paint on it.

So I want to strip it all off with a chemical stripper, but the last time I did this I found that the stripper was completely useless...

Is there one that you would recommend ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
As for stripper Nitromors, and don't forget to take the correct precautions with regard to the stripping of lead based paint.

Dec

Thanks for the reply Dec,

I have a face guard and rubber gloves which come up to my elbows (although I will have to check that they are suitable to use with a chemical stripper) but will have to get a suitable mask.

I have been doing a bit of looking around the internet and it looks like you can't use the original Nitromors any more :confused: apparently it's under EU legislation :unsure:

Yes it has Been subject to Eu legislation and I'm afraid I haven't used the new formula as yet, yet it may be worth a try.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I used a Wilkinsons own brand a few months ago and found it useless, my home brewed beer did a better job :D I'm reckoning it's the new 'safer' formula that is the problem :(

It is true i'm afraid all the goodness has been taken away leaving us with what I believe to be inferior products, there is a product called peel away which is a caustic paste and comes with a sort of blanket that you wrap over it, now this system will remove the paint. Check it out and let us know your thoughts.

Dec

Look up Kling Strip. The makers of that manufacture a wide range of strippers that are more effective than Nitromors. I tried NB-610 on an architrave and it is very effective. Take care as they burn skin.

Well I can't vouch for Kling Strip as I have never used it, Yet peel away now better known as strip away comes from Palace Chemicals.

Dec

Thanks again both for your replies, I have looked at both products and they look good, unless the formula has changed like Nitromors has :confused:

Also, someone near me has 25kg bags of Sodium Hydroxide which I am tempted to get, at £26 a bag it would work out at a fraction of the price Kling Stip or Peel Away, although I've never used it as a paint stripper :unsure: .

Back to Google :D

OK, a quick update.

Looks like I can use Sodium Hydroxide mixed with water and either flour or wallpaper paste, so this is the way I'm going to go.... will let you know how I get on :)

Alternatively, look for paint stripper that contains methylene chloride (aka dichloro-methane). That was the magic ingredient in the original Nitromors. :) :) :) (Sadly, it might also be the reason that you can't get it anymore. :( :( :( )

Be very careful with caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). Flick it in your eye and you'll be lucky to get away without permanent eye damage.

It doesn't work on fresh gloss either. Get it at the £1 shop and try it out first.

joe-90 said:
Be very careful with caustic soda. Flick it in your eye and you'll be lucky to get away without permanent eye damage.

Redoubled in No-trumps! Goggles are essential - and keep it away from anything made of aluminium too. :!: :!: :!:

The Dec said:
It under EU legislation is banned in the UK.

Drat and double drat!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Is this also why I can't find sodium chlorate anymore? (I wish I'd bought a nice big tin when B&Q were selling it cheap. :( :( :( )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back