Which circuit for a bathroom extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want my bathroom extractor fan to come on when the bathroom light's on. Can I just connect it to the bathroom light switch?

Thank you.

HEF

Sponsored Links
Yes, you connect it to the light circuit and use that switched live to tell the fan to come on.

it is more usual (and convenient) to connect it at the ceiling rose.

Very often it will not be possible to connect it at the switch.

Sponsored Links
If you are asking if it can be controlled from the light switch only then if either there is no natural light or you have an opening window then you can use just the light switch. If however there is natural light and the window does not open then there needs to be an alternative method even if it runs in parallel with the light switch.

There are two basic ways to wire. Where only the light switch is used then normally wired from the ceiling rose with no opening window will need a permanent line and switched line supply and overrun built into fan.

The second method is to use a twin pole switch so although the same physical switch the electric bit is separate. This has the advantage a pneumatic timing switch can be wired in parallel this also means no overrun timer is required to comply.

Fans do go wrong and the standard fuse size is 3A but when run from lights often just the 6A MCB is used. In real terms a fault with fan will often cause it to burn out before either 3A fuse or 6A MCB will open the wire used to wire the motor is very thin. However what you do need is a means to isolate so if it does go wrong you can switch it off so you can continue to use lights. So either a FCU or special fan isolator is normally used.

If you are asking do you run wires to light switch then normally no but it will depend on how it is wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back