Which Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its probably been asked many times before but worth asking again. My son is renovating a 2bed terraced house and intends to live in it for a couple of years before moving on, at which time he may rent it out.

Ordinary bathroom upstairs, water(not electric) shower downstairs, 2 beds, 2 lounges and a kitchen.

I looked at Screwfix and they sell Biasi, so thought the Advance 30KW Combi would be ok, then a friend of his tells him they are rubbish and the control panel is always going. But if they are rubbish why are Screwfix selling them ? His mate recommended he gets a Baxi Main boiler. I have an Ariston in mine and its still going 8 years later yet people say they are rubbish too.

My question is, its only a small house so power range 24 - 30 will do won't it ? And if he's going to rent the house out in a few years is it worth just putting in a cheap boiler eg Heatline CaprizPlus 28HE as it might end up getting wrecked or robbed by a tenant anyway.

Or is a cheap one unlikely to last a few years ? Should he be looking for a boiler with a minimum 3 year warranty or is it OK to get one with just a 1 year warranty and top it up with a 3rd party extended warranty ?

Its all so confusing !

Sponsored Links
I find both Biasi and Heatline models I've installed over the years to be as reliable as any other gas combi. However these jobs were carried out for people who asked me for budget central heating. I chose to spend less of the client's money on the boiler and charged the same for my other materials and labour. Happily the boilers have responded well to being installed professionally.

If you're just looking to buy the cheapest boiler yourself, it may follow that you look for the cheapest 'fit only' desperate mug to install it. If so you may run into trouble.

Hi thanks. That's encouraging, so you are saying that they can be as reliable as other makes as long as they are fitted correctly ?

What sort of fitting mistakes by dodgy fitters could affect their reliability ?

Sponsored Links
It's got nothing to do with mistakes. I make mistakes, and then rectify them.

It's about deliberate cutting of corners, slapdash and shoddy practices and general incompetence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back