Which Condensing Combi (8 bed house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to have 2 new condensing combis fitted and I would like to know which you guys think are the best manufacturer at the moment and likely to last the longest. I am told W.Bosch and Baxi are good - any comments.
I am not sure if it is a fair question - is one manufacturer generally good accross it's whole range? Both the houses are fairly large (7 bedroom)

Regards

Andy

Sponsored Links
You cant really go wrong with worcester,vaillant,glowworm and potterton.Its difficult because there all merging like people slag off saunier duval but there made exactley like gloworm and vaillant except £100 -200 cheaper

Although Vaillant own Glow Worm and saunier duval, apart from some common parts the boilers are nothing like each other in electronics, diagnostics and reliability.

I certainly would never fit a glow worm which in effect only has a 1 year full warranty.

As for Potterton, I think there is more chance of winning the lottery than getting a reliable boiler from them and a reliable back up tech service.

Just my personal opinion and past experiences.

Your money, your choice. Main thing is to get a reliable installer who fits whatever you buy properly.

gas 4 you
I see you do not like glow worm or Potterton - but which are your prefference?

As far as fitting- always difficult to know. The plumber i have used (happily)for many years has retired. Getting a plumber in Sheffield to price fairly for a job is difficult - and even then, how would I know if he is 'any good'? All I can know for certain is that he is CORGI reg (which I guess is completely different from being good and reliable)

Anyway fingers crossed - meeting a plumber this afternoon for a quote.

Sponsored Links
I would go for Vaillant, then WB, but try to get an installer through word of mouth.

Since the training I done at Ravenheat last Friday, I was so impressed by their quality and commitment that I am now hoping to specify these.

I'm based in West Yorks. Have previously done boiler exchanges in Sheffield can provide references from these jobs and I'm there next Wednesday if you want a quote...
PS I tend to spec Viessmann - as an approved installer I get 5 years warranty on them..

vaillant and w-b have been the top names for many years. have heard different stories on vaillant quality since they added s-d to their stable. w-b still hands down winner on after sales service, vaillant notoriously bad on this.

how many baths, showers, basins and sinks are you hoping to supply at any one time from your combi?

hint: correct answer is "one"

how many baths, showers, basins and sinks are you hoping to supply at any one time from your combi?

hint: correct answer is "one"

A lot of people know this, yet still don't care. I spec-ed a house last night in Cambridge. One bathroom, but lots of little feet running around who will grow up to be bath and shower hogs. A combi wouldn't really be suitable for the house, but thats what the man wants.

The customer is *always* right?

Stick a combi in but when you sell the house expect the surveyor and new buyer to knock a sizable lump off the price to put a decent hot water/heating system in. :D

Tight wads. :rolleyes: 8 beds...that's a lot of people p**sed off when it breaks down and there's no immersion backup.

unless we're talking about 2 ex council house's knocked into 1 8 bed, why go for a combi in the first place? cheap skate?

if you wanna go for a combi, maybe a atag q range? but i'd not want a combi in a property that has more than 2 bath/shower rooms. but thats me, the customer is usually right :rolleyes:

Yet again i will say this people should not be able to tell you how good a manufacturers back up service is ,if they can it means they are breaking down under g`tee regularly

Consider 2 cheap combis side by side. More hot water, more reliability.
IF your mains is up to supplying them.

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I should have given a bit more info – but had pretty much decided to put combis in anyway (though I am now wavering)
• These houses have student tenants – 8 in each house (without including any ‘guests’ they may have ‘stopped over' ;) ) so will have plenty of activity, though largely via the showers.
• These houses already have ‘traditional’ systems with cylinders/headers that of course would be removed if we go down the combi route.
• There are 1 bathroom and 2 showerooms in each house – though only 1 bath and 1 shower will be fed by the combi (and of course all the sinks) the other 2 showers being electric.
• I am not proposing to change to combis to be a ‘cheap skate’ as there is already a system in place it would be cheaper to just replace the boiler.
• 2 combis not an option.

It seems the general consensus here is to keep the present system – which would mean just replacing the boilers. This surprises me – we have several combis in use and get very little trouble from them (though all our systems are on the b/gas 3star plan)

The main problem I see – nobody has mentioned. – When water is drawn via a combi – the water is of course given priority over heating – which then takes a few minutes to switch back to heating – this can mean that the house cools considerably over the course of the morning bathing/toilet session which could easily be an hour with this amount of people.

Now I am really unsure which route to go down.

I had pretty much decided to go for the w/b 37 greenstar cdi combi.
If I stick with a traditional boiler, is w/b still one of the top manufacturers?

Thanks

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back