Which Consumer Unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone reccomend a new consumer unit?
I have one of the older types and would like to upgrade.
A 30mA RCD is fitted before the CU,( as per pic )

The current CU has 5 outgoing circuits, 1 for up lights, 1 for down lights, 1 for up sockets, 1 for down sockets and 1 for garage.

I`m all on gas, so no need for electric oven socket or shower etc.

Should the combi boiler be on its own circuit?

I am aware of part P and building regulations etc, just need a bit of help friendly advice for now. :)

IMGP1642.jpg

Sponsored Links
Every spark has their own fav.

Me, I would go for an MEM.

You need to loose that main RCD and look for either a dual splitload, or for 5 circuits, possibly, is costs permit, RCBO's in a straight CU.

Also need to check protective earth bonding conductors are present and correctly sized.

Screwfix usually do a deal on Wylex boards. Don't know if they're doing a dual board atm. For domestic CUs, I use Hager alot, MEM and Crabtree.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed you have a Wylex RCD. Not sure what rating it is, but you could get a standard Wylex split load consumer unit which are not too expensive, and swap the RCD you already have with the 100A incomer on the new board. That way you'll have an isolater in your old RCD box and two RCDs in the CU.

Oops, yes. You'll need a dp henley block and extra tails, plus remove a busbar link and the neutral link. Forgot about that. Maybe better to go for the dual board after all. Or split board and RCBOs.

Yes, thanks for that. Here's a link: £112 for a dual board and free MCBs and free screwdrivers! http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44925...lex-Consumer-Units/Wylex-10W-Dual-RCD-10-MCBs

Looks like we have a winner.
Be ordering one of these tommorrow.

Another question, under 17th edition, i`ve read all the sockets and bathroom electrics need to be RCD protected?

As i have 2 seperate circuits for upstairs and downstairs sockets, the bathroom has no electrics other than the light and pull switch, do i have to RCD protect the lighting circuit for the bathroom, or is using an RCBO in the CU for the upstairs lighting circuit acceptable?

Thanks for help so far. :D

a 5+5 split load board fully loaded, £55 plus the vat, then 2 RCBOs for the lighting

I wouldn't be that bothered about putting most of the sockets on one RCD, given a lot of split load CU's installed to the 16th edition have a similar arrangement. Maybe consider using another RCBO for fridge freezer circuit.

I wouldn't be that bothered about putting most of the sockets on one RCD, given a lot of split load CU's installed to the 16th edition have a similar arrangement. Maybe consider using another RCBO for fridge freezer circuit.

Maybe but it's not a reason to ignore 314.1 and run into the possibilities of leaving a household without sockets due to a N-E fault until they can get an electrician to take a look.

On the other hand, you could leave an installation without upstairs or downstairs lights if there is a fault on a socket circuit with a "High Integrity" consumer unit so could be argued that these 17th edition consumer units" don't comply with 314 either ;) .
Unless we start to use RCBOs for all circuits which is probably cost prohibitive, we need to assess the inconvenience caused by the loss of a circuit or group of circuits, and more importantly the danger caused by the loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back