Which consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Recently moved home and as part of doing it up the electrics will get renewed. Currently have a MEM memera 2000 split load board with 13 useable ways. Not sure on when it was installed but guessing in the early 80s.

Anyway looking to split out circuits more and go with a larger board potentially using RCBO’s and wondered what was recommended. So far I have thought of 16-circuits and that’s rings for each floor, may do more radials so thinking 20-way+. I will be doing this most likely on a self install and submit it to the labc as part of building regs with other changes.

I’ve seen some stacking kits but also some large units from Hager. It’ll be going in the garage so got no issues with space.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Dses on YouTube recently installed a make called fuseboard.

These are good value for large rcbo boards.

Dses on YouTube recently installed a make called fuseboard.

These are good value for large rcbo boards.

Seems good value for the box itself as well as the cheapest rcbo’s I’ve seen, but after watching that I’m not sure I would go for it, especially in my own home. I’d rather spend a bit more on something better.

Thanks for the quick reply though

If you look at the video comments you will see how expensive the Hager ones are.

Maybe you don’t need so many circuits after all!

Sponsored Links
Unless you need to get circuit breakers for them (n)

I like Hager for domestic jobs and Schneider for commercials

If you look at the video comments you will see how expensive the Hager ones are.

Maybe you don’t need so many circuits after all!
Yeah I’ve seen the price, but could do dual rcd and rcbos for essential circuits. I’d be saving loads doing it myself and rather spend the money now then regret it later - not saying more money always equals better either.

Previously used Crabtree boards along with their sockets/switches and never had any issues

If you can afford it then absolutely. There are several flavours of Schneider boards. Personally I’m not keen on the easi9 range as the build quality doesn’t seem as good as it could be. The acti9 range is absolutely bullet proof. I find Hager to be a good compromise of quality vs price.

If you can afford it then absolutely. There are several flavours of Schneider boards. Personally I’m not keen on the easi9 range as the build quality doesn’t seem as good as it could be. The acti9 range is absolutely bullet proof. I find Hager to be a good compromise of quality vs price.
The Hager I saw was the dual row one and that was £260+ bare. Guessing by the time MCBs, RCBO’s and SP added would near the £600-700 mark. The other option was to stack 2 decent boards if they don’t sell them as dual row

I’ll take a look at the acti9 range

I have used consumerunitworld on the internet and found them very competitive for Hager products

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back