WHICH CORE DRILL HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I fancy buying a core drill set but I am finding the choice and prices incredibly varied. I have looked on Ebay and in general on the net through google but I am lost which set to get. All I know is I want the usual set which probably starts about 38mm and goes up to 127mm, that seems like a common enough set that will cover anything I may tackle unless you know different?

Are there rubbish sets that wear out really quick, or are they all pretty good but just slower or quicker to cut?

Also are they all deep enough to cut right through a brick or do they vary in depth of possible cut?

I used to be in building services so I am quite handy and so all the family get me to do jobs for them. This means I would like a really good set but it is not my profession to cut holes but they may get a fair bit more use than the average diyer. I have a few jobs at the moment to cut holes through brick for a 32mm wastes and possibly a 100mm one and I see a couple more sink waste jobs coming up.

So could you advise me what set would be good to buy and what to look for, ie any special manufacturing process, laser welded etc and any makes that are really good, maybe you know from experience.

Any help appreciated as I am lost with the choice at the moment.

Sponsored Links
No idea, but stick with popular phrases 'you gets what you pays for' and 'shop around' and you won't go far wrong.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=121757
Faithfull 10Pce Diamond Core Drill Kit + Case

bought one of these a while back,i dont use it on a daily basis but it seems good for the money,only trouble is the bigger cores require a proper drill,they will smoke most mains and battery diy tools,my bosch 24v sds struggles even on the smaller ones

norton are good look at about £170 for a set
the new toolpak "turbo " are quite impressive at about £150
you should be able to pick up a basic spectrum set for less than £120 or the new spectrum cores look to be the most advanced (turbo teeth and dust removing spiral ) at about £180

whatever you get dont waste your time with a sds drill - invest in a drill made for the job ,high torque and a decent clutch , like the makita 8406

Sponsored Links
The quality of diamond cores are measured in a few ways. Concentricity of the core, the quality, quantity & positioning of the diamonds, and the material used to bond the diamonds on the cutting face.

Problem is which are the best, and how do you compare? Use a good tool/hire shop, the guys will know which are the best because they have sold/ used hundreds of them and users will tell them which are the best.

The only other simple advice that I can offer is that using dust extraction with cores can double the life of your core & puts your drill under less stress. These cores that you are showing use the 'self extraction' method, where as the slots in the side create a fan action and draw dust away from cutting surface. This system does not really work, and due to the slots you cannot then use a proper dust extraction system. Also the concentricity of the core is also very important as to not put stress on your drill. Also general standard fitment is 1/2" BSP female for most dry cores, if you are buying a set try to go for this standard, so that when your first core wears out, you can buy a replacement that works with your fitments/ extensions.

hire the drill it might be for one hole but you need some thing with guts like the hilti ts 2000 if you use a lighter drill your drill time can quadruple and brn the core out in one go expecially on any thing over 100mm

So how do you guys rate the core drills with extraction from Armeg? And what about that other well known name, Marcrist?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back