Which corner should I start laminate flooring from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise where I should start laying my laminate floor from in my hallway (see below)? It's my first time doing this and it seems tricky because of the diagonal doorway to the living room. Also, I'm going to go under the door frames - would it best to start from inside the doorways or to do them last? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Running long ways i take it?

You need to play with some loose laid, you have gaps either side of the front door, and either side of the hall wall / stair to consider.

You want an even look, but you need to see if even on 1st plank is the same as last at the front door LHS and rhs walls, and then how does that run impact further down on the hall / stair walls.

Maybe if you gave the width measurements of the hall at the important points, and the width of the flooring product I could tell you.

Thanks Chris, yes running lengthways.

That's the main concern - I'm guessing that whichever end I start the walls won't be exactly parallel either end of the hallway.

I was thinking of starting by the front door because it's lighter and the first thing you'll see when you enter the house, but after looking at this guide I'm thinking I'll start at the other end on the door side to make going under the architrave a bit easier. Either way the diagonal doorway's going to be a challenge to get right.

If you are worried about the walls not running parallel, place a baton a short ditant from the wall and work away from the baton

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back