Which Corrugated Roof Panels are best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My garage roof has a corrugated roof that needs to be replaced and I'm wondering which replacement panels I should buy?

I don't know what it's called, but the current panels are made of a composite material that look like the old asbestos (they are definitely not asbestos, they just look like it). They are about 20 years old and have started to crack from the effects of the sun.

I was thinking of replacing them with metal panels, including a few clear plastic panels to let in some light. However wouldn't the metal panels make the garage very hot in the summer?

Please could someone advise me on the best material to use, that will hopefully last a long time and not get too hot?

Sponsored Links
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, but Coroline or Corolux roofing panels are a cheap replacement for yours.....however they need loads of support to prevent sagging. Effectively they are bitumen based, but seem pretty tough. They also do ridges and eaves.
One thing - metal roofing sheets will cause lots of condensation, so do consider some sort of insulating ceiling if that is an issue.
John :)

Thanks for your reply :)

What is the best way to stop condensation on the inside of metal panels? This would be important since we'd like to store items in the garage that could be damaged by drips of water.

Apart from fitting a proper ceiling, is their anything we could paint on the underside of the panels to stop condensation?

However if necessary it wouldn't be difficult to fit a ceiling because the roof is supported on a metal frame which already has horizontal cross pieces. Would you just use wood for the ceiling like plywood or something similar, obviously we wouldn't be planning to plaster it in a garage.

:)

I'm afraid paint won't make any difference - its the cold metal surface that is the issue.
With mine, its the metal sheets, timber rafters and then cheap 9mm ply. There's plenty of draught up there which is important so I don't have the void lagged at all.
John :)

Sponsored Links
You can get the metal stuff coated in some sort of wicking stuff that reduces or maybe kill condensation, think it adds about £1.50/sq m when you buy the sheets new.
Or you can get insulated metal sheets (now you're up to about £15/sq m)
Or you can use roofing membrane under the tin sheets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back