Which DG Company to go with!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I'm hoping I can get some advice about the 2 whittled down quotes I've had in for 8 new windows and 2 doors in my house. I've had 6/7 quotes in ranging from £3250 to over 7K so I'm a bit windowed out to be honest!

One company has quoted £3250 for a Rehau S706 profile - 70mm, 3 chambered, no steel reinforcements, K Glass and "double cam locks".

Second company has quoted at £4150 for Profile 22 - 70mm frame, K Glass, 5 chambers, fully reinforced, multi-point locks and K Glass.

Both offer 10 year guarantees (2 for handles and locks) and "making good".

I've heard great things about Rehau more-so that profile 22 but I've been led to believe that a fully reinforced profile and proper multi-point locks are two key things to look for but I've no idea if the second companies proposition is worth £900 more than the first.

The Rehau lot seemed to breeze over the reinforcement questions I put to him and said that he'd "throw in shoot bolts on each window for an extra £3 per window" but have a little niggle at the back of my mind that he's being a bit shifty and his locks sound pretty crap. He also had the classic hard sell approach and a couple of call backs, the Profile 22 bunch posted the quote, answered any Qs I had and left me to it.

Any input would be appreciated from those in the know!

Sponsored Links
reccomendations are better than anything, and the fitters make all the difference, a crap frame can be fitted perfect and a top of the range frame can be fitted badly. personally, i dont like salesmen and the calling the office bull.

the rehau system with 3 chambers is a bit out dated now you really want to be going with 5 chambers with warm edge spacer and argon filled units with either planitherm or KOW to get an a-rated window you will struggle to get a b rated with rehau 3 chamber . 5 chamber windows are more rigid too . good quality shoot bolts coupled with sac bolts (engage on hinge side for security) will be best but as s60tsy says it can be the best window in the world but put it in the hands of a ****e fitter and it makes no difference all firms should be offering insurance backed guarantees by law and fensa/certass/labc I know its boring but go and see examples of work and recommends it is the best way

What ever company you choose, you must do the following to make sure you have well fitted windows/doors:

1 Make sure you are at home when the work is being completed. To answer any questions.
2. Make tea every hour or at least offer.
3. Make them lunch. (egg and bacon sandwiches will do)

If you do all of the above then you will have very happy fitters who will bend over backwards to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Andy

Sponsored Links
What ever company you choose, you must do the following to make sure you have well fitted windows/doors:

1 Make sure you are at home when the work is being completed. To answer any questions.
2. Make tea every hour or at least offer.
3. Make them lunch. (egg and bacon sandwiches will do)

If you do all of the above then you will have very happy fitters who will bend over backwards to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Andy

Outrageous but very true :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back