Which direction to wrap PTFE tape???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I search for an answer to this question, I can't get my brain round the answers I get!!!

I'm screwing a male shower hose connector into a female oulet (buried into the wall) ...

In which direction should I wrap the PTFE tape onto the male hose connector if I'm looking at it from the end that's going into the outlet - clockwise, or counter-clockwise???

Sponsored Links
Thank you ...

Just to be certain I've got it right (call me paranoid!) I'll then be turning the male connector against the direction in which I've wrapped the PTFE tape, yes???

Um.... No, because that winds in clockwise as well, the idea is that you want the PTFE to not unwrap itself off the pipe as it is being wound in.

Sponsored Links
Imagine the male end is in front of you pointing vertically up.
Start at the top of the thread going round in a clockwise direction, the end of the ptfe finishes at the bottom of the thread.
When you then screw the male end in, the ptfe is trailing from the direction that your screwing the fitting in so it tightens it on the thread and doesnt unravel it. Simple.

Done it hundreds of times on lpg at pressures of 100 psi no prob.

Done it hundreds of times .
:mad: Tape roll in left hand . Lay end of tape on top of thread -held horizontal , in right hand - turn thread/ fitting clockwise ( top moves away from you ) tape then rolls onto thread correctly ;) . (Now do this with hemp and boss white - then make a hemp grommet for a longscrew connector :LOL: )

:mad: Tape roll in left hand . Lay end of tape on top of thread -held horizontal , in right hand - turn thread/ fitting clockwise ( top moves away from you ) tape then rolls onto thread correctly ;) . (Now do this with hemp and boss white - then make a hemp grommet for a longscrew connector :LOL: )

Are youleft handed ! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Start at the top of the thread going round in a clockwise direction, the end of the ptfe finishes at the bottom of the thread.
When you then screw the male end in, the ptfe is trailing from the direction that your screwing the fitting in so it tightens it on the thread and doesnt unravel it. Simple.

Done it hundreds of times on lpg at pressures of 100 psi no prob.
Isn't it different for water and gas?? :confused:

Are youleft handed ! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
ambidextrous :idea: Turn the fitting , not the tape ;) I Don`t do it like that - but it illustrates the pricipal better- and could work for a diy`er doing a few joints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back