Which way to wrap PTFE tape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which way do you wrap PTFE tape around a thread. Is it the same direction that you screw the valve body into the rad , or is it the opposite way?. any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Opposite, otherwise it will undo its self as you do up the thread.

But do you start wrapping the thread from the open pipe end of the thread or the other end? Nobody's answered that. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Chris! nobody asked that question. Just trying to fathom out if it makes any difference. Starting from open end has my vote. It's better that the last wrap with loose end does not interfer with the start of the female thread.
:rolleyes:

Starting from open end has my vote.
That's what I've always assumed too, but BSS seem to think otherwise -
PTFE tape is applied to the male thread in the direction it runs i.e. starting away from the open end of the pipe and working towards the open end.
What do others think?

Just wind the tape in a clockwise direction. On parallel threads build up a gentle taper (sufficient to stop the threads bottoming out but not so much to risk splitting the female part).

From open end working away in clockwise direction.

Though I dont use PTFE anymore as I prefer Loctite 55.:cool:

Could it all depend on which way you are holding the thread? If you do it - the wrong way round -- the taped sometimes unwinds itself.
I hold the role between my knees to stop the tape from becoming a mess, and wind the male thread as if I am screwing it in. does the trick for me

BSS are right and if you look at picture on one wrap tape it shows you this, have never heard of anyone saying start at open end and work way back up thread always the other way. Or perhaps this is the gas method

Yeah just done a search and found that site to chris , everyone i have ever worked with has done it the other way, mind you we are alll gas men... Trip to the loft at weekend and check the scrolls from apprenticeship days does papayrus rot with age. :LOL:

From open end working away in clockwise direction.
So BSS are wrong?

I dont know if BSS are right or wrong Chris :eek: . I dont do it their way I do it like this.

Start wrapping the male threads at end of the pipe but do not lap over the end. Doing so may result in reduced water pressure or even clogs from bits of the tape that get into the water supply.
Start with a couple loops around at the end, then wrap all the threads, overlapping half the width of the tape on each wind.
Wrap in the direction of the threads starting from the end and proceeding toward the length of the pipe. Wrapping the wrong way may result in the tape coming unwound as the fittings are tightened.
As you wrap, keep tension on the tape so that it is pulled into the threads.
If you loosen or disconnect a fitting, remove the old tape and rewrap with a fresh piece.

PS This aint in my own words, I lifted it from somewhere :oops: :oops: . Does that meen I,ve breached copyrights :?:

BSS are right and if you look at picture on one wrap tape it shows you this, have never heard of anyone saying start at open end and work way back up thread always the other way. Or perhaps this is the gas method

I do it this way, and i only use single wrap, and indeed it shows you how to do it on the spool..

Though I dont use PTFE anymore as I prefer Loctite 55.

Is it any good...i have a free sample but have not tried it yet.

I was a bit confused at how it is used :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back