Which way to wrap PTFE tape?

Sponsored Links
I always start at the unthreaded part and go towards the cut end. The very first little bit isn't under tension, so it wouldn't be tight on the thread.

What's this "hold tape between knees" malarky?!!
It's important thaty you hold the roll such that it tends to wind up, not unwind, as you go round, That way you control it by letting it slip, otherwise your arm goes in ever-bigger circles!

I've got some Loctite 55 but can never find it. Makes very tight joints, but you can back them off if you need to.

I always start at the unthreaded part and go towards the cut end. The very first little bit isn't under tension, so it wouldn't be tight on the thread.
On reflection I suspect that's the right way, that is to say anti-clockwise looking at the open end of the thread. At least that's what the official suppliers' web sites all say. I must give it a try next time.

Chris R didn't say anti clockwise did he?
Considering there's quite a few turns required, there no reason why you cant start and finish at the unthreaded part, but it still must be clockwise.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you start away from the open end and work towards it then a clockwise direction (viewed from open end) would not line up with the threads! It would have to be wound on anti-clockwise for the strands of tape to bed well into the threads.

This is what I mean. CLockwise looking from open end.

Tape shown as translucent - wot it ain't:
ptfe1.gif

So the tape isn't applied parallel to the threads? Does that make sense?

When the tape is wrapped clockwise from the open end it's not fully parallel unless the No of wraps per inch is the same as the No of threads per inch.
The idea is so that the female thread slides across the tape to tension the tape and not slacken it, so its got to be clockwise for a right hand thread regardless which end is used for the start.
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back