Which drill part?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I need to drill some holes in a wardrobe door in order to attach handles. The handles come with the required screws and fittings and say I need to use a 5mm drill. So here comes the daft question ... I've got loads of drill parts but how do I know which one is a 5mm one?

Sponsored Links
You might find that a 5mm drill has the size stamped on it at the end.

If not you could get away with an imperial equivelant ( I believe it's 3/16")

If not you could measure the diameter of them with a set of vernier calipers, or roughly hold them up aganist a ruler , although it won't be exact if you use a ruler - which it may not need to be for your requirements

If in doubt go buy a new one and keep it in the packet/tube! - only be a couple of quid:cool:

Measure the shaft diameter, much easier than measuring the twisty bit! :LOL: Wont be accurate with masonry bit or SDS bits though, true for pretty much all other drill bits.

4/5/6/7mm will be fine the 4mm will mean the thread will screw into the hole

6 or 7 a bit loose just pick a drill around the right size youll be fine

as morric says the size will be stamped on the side off the shaft near the end

Sponsored Links
Make sure it's a brad point or hss bit if you are drilling into timber/ chipboard/ mdf. Go slow, and if poss drill from both sides to avoid any possible breakout (chipping) if it's laminate board. tape over the hole before drilling or clamp on a thin scrap bit of timber and drill through that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back