snapped bosch drill bit :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are Bosch SDS drill bits supposed to break after drilling less than 30 holes in brick?

The 5mm drill bit got stuck in the whole and broke off this morning... I was dissapointed as I thought a Bosch item would have lasted much longer... I've had the drill with the bits that came with it about 3 years but rarely use it.

Does any one know where you can buy individual replacement bits from? Recommended brands?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I sometimes buy small size drills in quantity, to allow for my clumsiness in breaking them.

You can't break them just by drilling holes.

The main reason drills break, is drilling past the flutes on the drill bit.
They clog up, jam the drill, and it breaks.
For deep holes regularly withdraw the drill to clean the flutes out, especially so, with small diameter drills.

Sponsored Links
You occasionally get some duff bits.

Drilling damp stone or brick will put a lot of strain on the bit, as will moving the drill slightly off straight as you are drilling.

I have some 5.5mm SDS bits I've been using most days for alot of holes in hard materials for ages.

I was using a coleagues drill recently and managed to snap two bits within about 5 mins of each other.

I tend to use DeWalt extreme drill bits. They seem very good quality to me.

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A337790/Drill-Bits/SDS-Plus/DeWalt-Extreme-2-SDS-Plus

I hope that my 5mm SDS bits from Poundland dont break, they seem to be OK so far :D :D

Bosch S4, or Dewalt Extreme bits are good, heller irwin, both pretty good.

Im another one taht will buy 3 or 4 at a time on small bits, 5/6/7 especially

Always recommend Dewalt Extreme bits. They are excellent and the non-SDS bits work superb with a cordless drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back