Which Electric Shower???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an electric shower. I currently do not have a shower of any sorts. I have spent some considerable time looking at different types and have now narrowed down my choice between two but I am so torn. Has anyone any idea or experience of the two and which are better?

I'm torn between a Mira Sport 10.8kw and a Triton Topaz 100si 10.5kw

Any opinions on any of them would be helpful.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
only diference is 300W. go for the 10.8KW, itll give more hotter water (not by much tho). make sure you use 10mm cable for installing it.

also, are you aware of part P? (if your installing it yourself)

Yeah I was gonna use 10mm cable via 50A DP pull switch over a 15m run - not buried just clipped.

One thing I wanna know about this part P is how can it ever be proven that what you have done has been installed after 01 Jan 05? Especially this early on in the scheme. 5 years ago I installed my electric hob and cooker and to date have had no probs! For a spark to do the job I'd have kissed goodbye to at least £100 im sure.

Part P in my book - but possibly some wont agree - is a really neat little scheme........ What a great way to allow overexpensive electricians (wish I earned £60 and hour as some do) to get rich quick and help swell the coffers of building control. Someone obviously knew they'd be onto a winner with this one. Talk about a police state - now DIY - a great british tradition is being curbed!

To be honest I dont trust anyone other than myself to do a job and getting me to get anyone in for any works to be done is like getting blood out of a rock having had experience of two cowboys!

I lay odds that people will still DIY without any thought for Part P. I mean who in thier right mind is gonna pay out and be ripped off to have an outside light put in or wire in a new socket when its a dead easy DIY job that can be undertaken for less than a pony? (£25)?

Find me a competent electrician who can do the job under part P for £25 including parts and labour for adding a new socket then I might toe the line slightly.

The only way to police this is remove all part P eligible stuff off the DIY shop shelves! Can you see that happening?

DIY Rulez OK!

very few people agree with part P. it should be scrapped.

Sponsored Links
Hi!

I'm glad you are with me on this one.

If people protested enough then it could maybe be scrapped - but i expect there are too many people who will get rich out of it.

I lay definite odds people will DIY without bothering to get in an electrician or notify the council jobsworths. The council here charge £123 plus VAT for part P notification - what an utter, utter rip off.

diy_freak said:
Hi!

I'm glad you are with me on this one.

If people protested enough then it could maybe be scrapped - but i expect there are too many people who will get rich out of it.

I lay definite odds people will DIY without bothering to get in an electrician or notify the council jobsworths. The council here charge £123 plus VAT for part P notification - what an utter, utter rip off.

but how many people know about it? most people ive spoke to have never herd of it, so they wouldnt kno if they were breaking any laws if they were to add a socket in a kitchen

andrew2022 said:
but how many people know about it? most people ive spoke to have never herd of it, so they wouldnt kno if they were breaking any laws if they were to add a socket in a kitchen
But doesnt part p state that you can ammend/modify/ repair an existing circuit ??

The supply of electricians will no doubt expand to fill the demand so they aren't going to make their fortunes out of it. Building control departments are another matter. This is going to be a nice little earner for councils everywhere. I for one will not be paying too much attention to part P.

I have heard that in future our old red and black cable will be replaced by brown and blue. This is actually a good idea and should have happened years ago. The point to note however is that new wiring will be identifiable by it's colour. The obvious solution is that somebody somewhere will continue to make the old stuff. Now there's a nice extra job for Customs and Excise.

"Here is the news. Customs officers doing a routine check on a cannabis shipment found flat twin and earth with a street value of five million pounds hidden in false bottomed crates."

Scoby_Beasley said:
andrew2022 said:
But doesnt part p state that you can ammend/modify/ repair an existing circuit ??
in a kitchen or bathroom you cant

Oh dear, that means I'm a villian !! Maybe I should try mugging little old ladies instead, that way I'd have the full weight of the legal system on my side :confused:

With any breach of the building regs, there is a maximum of a removal order and a 5 grand fine, but, its amost never used, negotiation and a 'regularisation inspection' followed by some "remedial action" if serious defects are discovered, are always preferred.
In any case once the work has been finished for 6 months, or a year for some types of situation, if they have not already started proceedings, then the council are no longer allowed to take it to the magistrates court to start a prosecution.
A wronged third party (disgruntled house buyer?) might still seek to raise a higher court injunction at any later date, but this is almost unheard of, so if after 6 months, no one has asked you to take it away, you have more than likely got away with it ! I'd suggest that one could just make sure it is indeed up to spec, and so if anyone ever inspects in the future, the most you have to pay for is a regularisation inspection report by a local NAPIT bod, just before you move out of the house, for all the DIY done up to that date.

Of course, I could not possibly advise deliberate law breaking, but you may feel, as I do, that some rules are more serious than others.

regards M.

" you can do anything you want, providing you are prepared for the consequences"

diy_freak said:
I'm torn between a Mira Sport 10.8kw and a Triton Topaz 100si 10.5kw

Any opinions on any of them would be helpful.
Neither - Redring Selectronic is much better - has genuine thermostatic control - no getting scalded when someone flushes the loo..

Yeah I was gonna use 10mm cable via 50A DP pull switch over a 15m run - not buried just clipped.
You won't forget to do insulation tests and R1+R2 measurements when you've installed the cable, will you?

diy_freak said:
who in thier right mind is gonna pay out and be ripped off to have an outside light put in or wire in a new socket when its a dead easy DIY job that can be undertaken for less than a pony?
As long as you're sure it's that easy, and that you are breaking into a ring and not an already-incorrect multiple spur, and you can test what you've done afterwards to make sure it's OK, then sure.

felix said:
I have heard that in future our old red and black cable will be replaced by brown and blue. This is actually a good idea and should have happened years ago.
It's really quite scary that you're so little clued-up on what's going on that you think that this is going to happen "in the future"...

The point to note however is that new wiring will be identifiable by it's colour.
How will it do that when the new colours have been usable since April of last year?

I can believe that. It must have been at least a year since I bought any flat twin and earth cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back