which external Oil combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just inherited my mums house and as its bleedy freezing I need to stick some CH in it as one of the first jobs! Its about 200 years old, stone walled effort, 4 bedrooms so a reasonable size. I currently have a Worcester Bosch heatslave in my own house so was going to put a new external Greenstar Heatslave 25/32 in mums, but the plumber I was planning on using has suggested a Grant Vortex 36 Pro Outdoor Combi Boiler

Anyone get any thoughts on the two? It’s only me and the wife, no kids as of yet, probably be running 10 – 12 rads a nice big bath 250litres sort of thing, and a couple of nice big showers

Sponsored Links
Id go grant.
The WB is a normal combi which you have to purchase a seperate ext casing for.

I'm more concerned about a decent amount of hot water. We've just done our bathroom up with a nice big walk in shower 6 inch head, body jets and an airbath (this has a fancy electronic mixer valve which has a max setting of 50 degrees), our 12/15 heatslave just about copes with this. I can have a 5+ min shower and give it a few mins to recover before my wife gets in and she spends ages in it, I'm expectng a killer water bill next quarter, as before we only had a 7KW electric! The bath is set to fill for 10 mins and is around 50 degrees, which is too hot for the wife, but I could have it hotter.

your existing 12/15 can be increased in power. the factory setting is about 13kw it needs a larger nozzle to increase it to 15kw.

the external heatslaves come with external case purpose designed. But i would personnally go for the grant as it is a much better boiler.

the 36 vortex produces more than double your current boiler if the water pressure and flow are available. You need 2bar and 25lt/min

Sponsored Links
thanks for that just the kind of info I was after! Doesn't seem to be much in it when it comes to cost, both are around the £2k mark

Pressure wise we get over 6 bar in our current house and I can't see the new place being much different its only 20yds up the road

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back