Which finish for new pine floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been asked quite a few times (on this forum and elsewhere), but I can't make my mind up and don't want to risk wasting money on expensive oils, etc, and even worse having to sand off something that I've bodged. So after minutes and minutes :) of research I've come down to Osmo POLYX-OIL Colour Foundation dark oak wood finish. My other choice is Dulux Trade Diamond Glaze. The skirting is white satin and the walls are 1829 tapestry green (bit darker than mushy peas). Time\smell\money (within reason!) are not an issue, and it will be a medium traffic area. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Those are two quite different options you've listed 1) a stained oil and 2) a waterbased clear finish.

In my opinion one of the best ways of staining and protecting a pine floor is to use a bound water stain something like Aquastain and then overcoat it with the Diamond Glaze or Aquacoat SP. This system will give you an even stain and excellent protection for a domestic floor. Maintenance wise is soap and water and then if you feel it's looking a bit tired after a few years lightly sand the entire floor and apply a thin coat of Diamond Glaze or Aquacoat SP. The Aquacoat SP is available in Matt, Satin and Gloss finishes.

I hope this information helps.

Ian McAslan

Sponsored Links
You don't need to worry about trying oil first as danish oil can be varnished over without problem, for a really tough varnish the two part types are very hard wearing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back