Which first, Architect or structural engineer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am considering having a restructuring project undertaken, whereby I will be converting a seperate kitchen and dining room into one, resiting a down stairs toilet, losing half of an integral garage to make way for a new downstairs toilet and utility room.
The question I have is, should I consult with a structural engineer before an architect to find out if and where any steels will be required to allow the architect more chance of getting drawings correct first time, or should I present drawings to the SE for him to calculate how to make the project work?

Many thanks fro any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Find the architect first, IMO - I would expect him to know an SE. If I had my time again on my project, I would put more effort into getting the right architect right at the start.

Also, make sure that your architect knows his way around with your local authority - as an architect mine was fine, but mine did not know how to handle the local authority when problems arose.

Good architect first.. as said above will pay for itself in the long run and will avoid alot of problems..

It seems pretty basic, so even an engineer should be able to do the design work instead of an Architect or technician

Or even a designer who could be able to do any beam designs ... if you actually need any designing

Sponsored Links
I go with woody on this: an architectural technician should easily be able to design such a project. The only knock-thro seems to be between the kit. and the din room.

A trusted builder could make a site visit and sketch up what you had in mind, then call the BCO and explain job and start date, and he/she would then allow it to proceed under Bldg. Regs. Any plan/design would be for site use only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back