Which glue for broken plastic toilet seat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a plastic toilet seat that has snapped near the hinge. It's £65 - £100 to replace as it's for a particular model/design of WC.

Is there a glue that would bond the plastic back together? The snap itself covers quite a large area (at least 2-3cm) and is rough/jagged, so more chance of bonding than a clean break, I'd think.

I was wondering if epoxy resin would work, or would I need something with a bit of give in it?

Advice please..?? :)

Sponsored Links
yes epoxy like araldite is great yes
but you need to ask yourself why it has broken in the first place ??

what about Sticks Like Sh**t? Supposed to be good stuff :LOL:

Buy a new toilet seat........ it will save you sliding off a broken seat and going to A & E with a cut ar$e.

Andy

Sponsored Links
yes epoxy like araldite is great yes
but you need to ask yourself why it has broken in the first place ??
because they do - due to tension in the plastic - they`ve been doing it for years :LOL: Araldite is a good repair

Should a £65 to £100 bog seat EVER break?
I swear by the Celmac Sonata. A full BS seat.

I'm a bat fastard and tall with it, too. At around 19 stone I probably put a lot of strain on bog seats. I've had 2 Sonata seats in the last 26 years. Both (in 2 seperate properties, one is 26 years old and used by me for 16, the other 10, used by me for all 10) are still going strong!

Should a £65 to £100 bog seat EVER break?
I swear by the Celmac Sonata. A full BS seat.

I'm a bat fastard and tall with it, too. At around 19 stone I probably put a lot of strain on bog seats. I've had 2 Sonata seats in the last 26 years. Both (in 2 seperate properties, one is 26 years old and used by me for 16, the other 10, used by me for all 10) are still going strong!

You can remember exactly how long toilet seats have lasted,

Get a life FFS..

Why not approach the manufacturer and try to shame them into replacing the seat FOC or at least at cost?

You can remember exactly how long toilet seats have lasted,

Get a life FFS..
And, answering that post clearly shows who else needs to get a life, Terry!
Have you been snorting the flux again?

Thanks for the replies...

yes, I wonder myself if a £100rrp seat should break. Although it's 5 years old, I live by myself, am light as a fevva, and generally cut rope on work's time. So it's not like it's received even average wear and tear.

Sadly though, me and my mates were a little worse for drink at the weekend and I'm guessing one them fell on it/dropped it down or something...

Is there a difference between epoxy and araldite? (Is araldite just a brand name?)

Would I need to clamp it together with either of them? (a little tricky at it's a curved surface.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back