Which Gold Paint for Metal Fence Finials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have one of those metal fences with the fleur de lys finials on top. The original gold colours paint is now fading and I wondered what would be the best paint to use to re-coat them - something bright, but also durable and resistant to weathering

Thanks
Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Hi Malcolm
If you do not have too many finials to do, why not consider doing them in real gold leaf.
It is not that difficult

For outside work, rub the finials down really well to make sure they have no flakey paint or rust. Give the finials a coat of red oxide, allow to dry for at least 24 to 48 hours then rub down with a fine 240 paper.

The gold leaf sheets come in a little pack, like a very thin small book with one sheet of gold between each page, around 24 pages a book. Each gold sheet being about two and a half inches square. The gold sheets come in different colour shades. Price on the internet varies from around £5 to 12 or 14. ( Check how many sheets you get ) You will also need some gold size glue, I think this is around the same price as the leaf but you will only need one pot or bottle.

Check on the pot how long the gold size glue needs to dry before applying the gold sheets. WARNING !! You can not pick off the sheets with your fingers, it will stick to them and make you look like Ggoldfinger!

Use a very very soft, half inch artist brush, to just catch the gold sheet with the bristle ends from the page, then lift it and apply to the finial, anywhere will do, don't bother with being too aaccurate then keep adding sheets all over the finial using the brush to dab all the leaf into the nooks and crannies. The gold will stick to the size, so use up all the bits of leaf even the small bits as you go.
Don't do it on a windy day as the gold leaf is so fine it will just blow away. You may also end up with bits of gold leaf in your hair and over your face. This effect is quite normal!!!
It will last on the finial for many years however it is usually the under surface that goes first, not the gold!!

I guess if you allow 24 sheets per finial that might just do it, say all in at £15 per finial, plus your time of course.

As a very cheap alternative, rub down, coat of red oxide, oil based undercoat, then paint with gold paint from the DIY store.

I know which method I would use!

Hi Malcolm
If you do not have too many finials to do, why not consider doing them in real gold leaf.
It is not that difficult

For outside work, rub the finials down really well to make sure they have no flakey paint or rust. Give the finials a coat of red oxide, allow to dry for at least 24 to 48 hours then rub down with a fine 240 paper.

The gold leaf sheets come in a little pack, like a very thin small book with one sheet of gold between each page, around 24 pages a book. Each gold sheet being about two and a half inches square. The gold sheets come in different colour shades. Price on the internet varies from around £5 to 12 or 14. ( Check how many sheets you get ) You will also need some gold size glue, I think this is around the same price as the leaf but you will only need one pot or bottle.

Check on the pot how long the gold size glue needs to dry before applying the gold sheets. WARNING !! You can not pick off the sheets with your fingers, it will stick to them and make you look like Ggoldfinger!

Use a very very soft, half inch artist brush, to just catch the gold sheet with the bristle ends from the page, then lift it and apply to the finial, anywhere will do, don't bother with being too aaccurate then keep adding sheets all over the finial using the brush to dab all the leaf into the nooks and crannies. The gold will stick to the size, so use up all the bits of leaf even the small bits as you go.
Don't do it on a windy day as the gold leaf is so fine it will just blow away. You may also end up with bits of gold leaf in your hair and over your face. This effect is quite normal!!!
It will last on the finial for many years however it is usually the under surface that goes first, not the gold!!

I guess if you allow 24 sheets per finial that might just do it, say all in at £15 per finial, plus your time of course.

As a very cheap alternative, rub down, coat of red oxide, oil based undercoat, then paint with gold paint from the DIY store.

Your advice here was nothing short of excellent, and you really are a credit to the trade. Another method that the op could adopt could be what is termed as a high build tractor paint supplied by promain (owatrol) If my memory serves correct it is called Teacote Metalcote.

Dec

Yeah me too - this one every time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments Dec,
I had a good lesson from the guy that goldleafed the Prince Albert memorial perched on the mound opposite the Albert Hall !!!

Now that was BLING on a grand scale!!!!

You are quite right misterhelpful, Ardenbrite is a good product and I would not relish working my way around a park with it, or gold leaf!!

It was just my thought that when the gold leaf glitters, it does have that wow effect plus it's nice to tell the neighbours its REAL gold :LOL:

Hi
Thanks so much for the helpful replies. There are about 100 to do so despite the fact that it sounds lovely, I probably won't go for the gold leaf option.

Any thouthts whether the Ardenbright or the tractor paint would be best?

Malcolm

Hi again Malcolm
I guess the ardenbrite is one of the best as they are a more specific metal paint supplier in the golds etc.
Shop around, but Decorating direct will get you sorted and post out to you.
Usual thing, prime, gold paint, then a glaze over the top.

Only thing i don't know is how long it lasts, anyone out there been back for a re-coat job?

Any thouthts whether the Ardenbright or the tractor paint would be best?

Malcolm

Assuming Dec means Teamac tractor enamel, they are both made by the same parent company, Promain. I haven't used the Teamac but if it's recommended by Dec, it will be good - I've never seen a gold tractor though! ;) :LOL:

The Sovereign Gold Ardenbrite is supposed to resemble gold leaf but, IIRC, we used the Light Gold because it looked very bright (perhaps, a bit too bright).

You are quite right misterhelpful, Ardenbrite is a good product and I would not relish working my way around a park with it, or gold leaf!!

Too right! It took 6 of us about month to do it all - lots of prep involved and there must have been at least 5000 rails to do as well as those fancy sign and lamp posts. :eek:
I dread to think of the cost of real gold leaf, especially if you consider how much of it would have been blown away in the wide open spaces! :cry:

EDIT:
Regarding recoats - As said previously, I'm not doing those railings again, but they were done about 6-7 years ago and still look pretty good whenever I pass them. ;)

MrH,

Thank you for your correction regarding product name, much appreciated, I told you that i'm getting old ;) And you've never seen a gold tractor, get yourself down to Llantrisant and stop by the longacre farm, there you wil see a very old Massey Ferguson coloured both silver and gold. And you will never guess who painted it.

Cheers,

Dec

For a bit of fun on a farm, we gilded over the handles on the gardeners wheelbarrow, it looked great!!

Not that it has anything of value to this post. :)

Hi Malcolm
It is not that difficult

Hi, Are you sure 24 sheets of gold leaf are required per finial?! I know it depends on the size...but seems a lot... I have 10 cm finials by about 1 cm in width and was thinking 2 sheets per finial would be needed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back