Which holes to use to attach pillar drill to bench?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an odd question this, but hopefully it doesn't sound too daft asking it! Thought it might be best to post it in this woodwork category.

I've got hold of a small pillar drill, which needs to be attached to my workbench. Looking at the base though, I'm unsure what 'holes' I'm supposed to use? Do I use the two slotted sections or the two actual holes behind them? Or doesn't it matter?

IMG_5717.JPG
My immediate thought was the slotted section, which I guess would mean I could slide the drill forwards and backwards? However, seeing that it is chamfered the way it is, it would mean the bolt heads would not meet flush. Perhaps then the bases slots are for a vice? The bolt sizes needed for either hole are different too, meaning that I'd need different bolts/washers.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The slots are actually for tee bolts to fit into, which in turn allow a vice to be bolted to the drill foot and moved around.
Usually four securing holes are available, but on this one use the two you have marked - but don't overtighten to such an extent that the base distorts.
John :)

@Burnerman Great, thank you!:) Holes it is then. Regarding over tightening, I thought I might get some rubber washers to add a little cushioning? I'd heard it's easy to crack the base plates otherwise.

The base is cast aluminium and therefore quite fragile - however there should be plenty of contact points on the bottom of it which should prevent any distortion (old traditional drills had a cast steel base - but you couldn't move the bloody things :eek:)
Just check to see that the base is solid below those two holes....if it is, feel free to bolt it down. I don't think you'll really need any rubber washers but I'd try to use penny washers on the bench underside.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I’ve never bolted my bench pillar drill down, it’s one massive lump of iron!

Thanks again for all the replies. Yep it's only a cheapo drill, but I'm really chuffed about getting one finally. Always wanted one and it will allow me to do so much more stuff accurately. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back