Which is lighter, an electric or petrol chainsaw ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old electric chainsaw has finally given up, beyond repair.
It was very heavy to use so no great loss.
Which would be lighter, an electric or petrol replacement ? Just need a smallish one …14/16 ins will do. Not used a lot but it makes life much easier.
Cheers
Brian.

Sponsored Links
Just as a comparison....
The baby Stihl MS 170 is round about 4kg and will have a bar length of around 300mm (1 foot). Run it on Aspen fuel and it will be ready to go when you are.
There's plenty of oriental rubbish around of course which will be cheaper and maybe lighter.
John :)
Sorry, just to edit.....expect the smallest electric saw to be a little heavier - and much quieter if that's an issue!
J.

Last edited:
As above comment
I would buy a Stihl or a husqvarna entry level petrol chainsaw and be done with it. I have a Stihl MS181 and its done everything and more for me.

Leigh

Sponsored Links
That's the one.....rev like hell, they do.
If its going to be stored for any time though, I'd run some thin oil through the chain bar lubricator as the oil pump does tend to clog.

Echo is worth a look, made in Japan with a 5 year Domestic or 2 year pro guarantee and they can be bought online. Personally , I would not go back to Stihl
litl

Just as a devil's advocate, aldi/Lidl are very cheap and have a three year warranty.
I know they do petrol as well but my very occcasional electric one was less than £50

Just as a devil's advocate, aldi/Lidl are very cheap and have a three year warranty.
I know they do petrol as well but my very occcasional electric one was less than £50
This could be the way to go if there's a low budget.....I just quote Stihl or Husqvarna because I can get the spares quick and get the machine returned to its owner in short time.

I bought an electric chainsaw from Lidl the other week, cost about £50 and its a great little chainsaw which makes light work of the logs I've been cutting in my garden. I wouldn't expect it to fell large trees, but for cutting up logs it performs brilliantly. The chain stops immediately when releasing the trigger, no run on. Its fairly quiet so not annoying for the neighbours.

You get what you pay for, but for the money this chainsaw is unbeatable.

IMG_0687_zpsgg6ar5ko.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back