Which is stiffer Rockwool or dritherm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AS per the title. Reason for the question is I plan to refurb my kitchen with bathroom above so no requirement for insulation but as the ceiling is down I am going to anyway but just with 50mm, for cost efficiency i plan on getting 100mm thick slabs and cutting them down to 50mm thickness so which is going to be easier more stable stiffer Knauf dritherm32 or ROCKWOOL Thermal Insulation Cavity Batt 37 or somthing else

Sponsored Links
You can get the soundproofing grade in 50mm. As it is thinner, you get about twice the area in a pack as for cavity batts, at about the same price.

Oh yes thanks I didn't realise that the 100mm dritherm is 6 to a pack cut half is 12 same as the rockwool and no messing and causing a mess also funny you should link Wickes as that is where I am getting it from.
The only difference is that Dritherm is 0.32 and rock wool is 0.38 and also rockwool is 400mm wide but so is my gaps between joists within +- 15mm. Dritherm £51 Rockwool £53

Apart from the slightly too short width joist space do you think it will stay up on its own 60s house rough sawn joists. Or will I need to pop some screws ( or something else ) in to support it until it gets boarded.

Sponsored Links
To hold insulation
Staple string across to hold but for £15 buy galvanized hexagonal netting. Some call it chicken wire .

Pack in plenty of insulation

String sounds ok chicken wire the whole ceiling sounds a bit ott IMO

String sounds ok chicken wire the whole ceiling sounds a bit ott IMO
It's a fire reg thing tbh. My entire house has metal net holding insulation.
Go with the string

So a bit of string is going to burn the house down, they will outlaw plastic wallplugs next:eek:.
Not aimed at you by the way

So a bit of string is going to burn the house down, they will outlaw plastic wallplugs nex
Where upgrading a floor for fire resistance is required, the insulation needs to stay in place if the supporting plasterboard ceiling comes down.

Wayners was referring to string to hold the insulation up whilst you board it. Plastic mesh is better for this purpose.

Good luck with trying to trim 100mm slabs to 50mm. :eek: To be honest 50mm is not worth the hassle involved.

Where upgrading a floor for fire resistance is required, the insulation needs to stay in place if the supporting plasterboard ceiling comes down.

Wayners was referring to string to hold the insulation up whilst you board it. Plastic mesh is better for this purpose.

Good luck with trying to trim 100mm slabs to 50mm. :eek: To be honest 50mm is not worth the hassle involved.
I have done it before but cant remember what product it was and it was fairly successful but wasnt trying to get it to support itself as it was in aloft which is why I was asking if anyone has had experience with a product.
50mm has to be better than nothing does it not and as the ceiling is already down I am not taking the ceiling down just to fit 50mm

So a bit of string is going to burn the house down, they will outlaw plastic wallplugs next:eek:.
Not aimed at you by the way
No
After the fire brings down plasterboard, the wire holds the rockwool in place stopping fire going up.
I kid you not. I just fitted it. Did help with holding the insulation in place

No
After the fire brings down plasterboard, the wire holds the rockwool in place stopping fire going up.
I kid you not. I just fitted it. Did help with holding the insulation in place
Ahh that makes total sense now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back