which is the best estimating guide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help please. I have been running my painting and decorating company for the last 28 years, until recently most of my work was either on a CIS basis or was for small jobs which have been easy to price. My business is now expanding and I have some larger jobs that I need to quote for which are likely to involve me employing at least one other decorator. i have an idea of what my price should be, but i want to purchase an estimating book to make sure that my price is spot on. There appears to be three books on the market, SPON's estimating costs, BCI wessex painting and decorating and the NAtional schedule of rates for painter and decorators. Does anyone have any experience of using these publications, the NAtional schedule books is £100 more than the others and I want to make certain that it will be an invaluable tool before I shell out for it.

Sponsored Links
We used the National Schedule at a Housing Association to specify and price work for our contractors. It wasn't painting & decorating specifically, more property maintenance as a whole.

My thoughts on it were that there was absolutely no way that the contractors could make a penny on it - most of the prices were far too low.

No experience of the other publications.

I looked at Spons a few years ago, but for tree and landscape work, not decorating. Their prices seemed way out on a lot of jobs, although the labour rates seemed reasonable.

Why not look in your library and see if they have a copy you could borrow? I did that, and found a handy CDROM at the back which had the complete contents of the book.

Sponsored Links
Back