Bloody Decorators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice welcomed on this recent dilemma. I received a quote from, and appointed a Dulux Select Decorator. The quote entailed a fixed price, two decorators for 6 weeks to complete the job. One decorator turned up. After 7 days I inspected the site and his workmanship to find the finish after lining was rough to the touch, indented and uneven, i.e the walls had not been prepared sufficiently. I found out that the decorator on site was not an appointed Dulux Select Decorator in other words I have been misled and that the job had been subcontracted to a none approved decorator. Also only one decorator had been supplied. On top of that the requested materials had not been used ( 800 instead 1700 lining paper). I have since given the decorator the chance to rectify and improve the finish. He subsequently papered over the top but not crosslining or making good the walls. As we stand the decorator has completed about 15% of the contract I am not happy and want to terminate the contract I have with the Decorator, so where do i stand legally.

Sponsored Links
You have to behave reasonably, which means giving the contractor a reasonable opportunity to rectify problems.

Your best course of action is to insist that work is suspended until a site visit is made by an approved representative.

Immediately put your misgivings in writing to the contractor, and request an assurance that faults will be rectified and that no more substandard work will be carried out.

Explain, also in writing, that you are giving the company a final opportunity to perform their part of the contract, and that you'll consider that further failures will constitute a breach of contract, following which you'll engage another contractor to complete the work, and hold the original contractor liable for any additional costs incurred (which you're entitled to do).

You also should consult the CAB to confirm your understanding of your rights.

And when its all squared grass him to Dulux who will take him on for using their logo etc falsely.

Just checked out that 'trustmark' scheme...another half baked 'initiative' by the government

It will go the same way as BS 5750 and the Kite Mark scheme they tried to roll out a few years ago.

Sponsored Links
If you don't get satisfaction, contact your local trading standards.

They can advise you on your legal rights, and may just scare the decorator into getting his act together.

I'm sure that if you use a dulux select decorator, and your having the trouble that your having, dulux will pay to put it right. :confused:

Hi Superman66,

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. Are you sure that he is a Select deccy? A simple search of the Dulux website with his details will confirm. If he is phone the Select Office (numbers supplied from the Dulux site) They will rectify matters and investigate the matter. If he is not a Select Decorator then I would do as Softus has said and def get some advice. Have you paid any money out yet???? If not, I would be inclined to get in touch with trading standards, he is mis-selling goods and services if he has stated two deccys and supplied one and 1700 paper and supplied 800 etc etc and kick his ass of the job :evil: I would be very surprised if Dulux Select had not heard about this already ;) keep us posted on any outcome and good luck mate.

Zamps..... Trustmark comments.......cant help thinking your right mate :cry: only good thing about it is the mandatory 3 year inspection of your work to maintain standards. As an organization a white elephant methinks that has goverment cock up written all over it :rolleyes: :LOL:

The Duluks inspection to become a Select Decorator..they sent a retail sales rep out to see me who has never bene a painter and has no qualifications.

In principal its not a bad idea...theres always going to be abuse of the system though

I wouldnt join it again though...it was great when you got cheaper insurance as a memeber, then they changed it reckoning it was 'against the law' to have a scheme like that.

Since then it has double in cost (300 quid) ...a lot to pay out if you dont get any referals from it.

They dont promote it enough to householders.

That was the problem from when you were in Zampa but the inspection has changed now :D you are insp by your peers and it is tight. They had to do something cos the idiots that were getting through made the whole thing a joke.

The price to join has gone up but that incorporates TrustMark now and as I said they inspect every 3 years regardless. The scheme also has an ongoing vetting procedure via the customer feedback/guarantee forms as well so the door is closing. I know that there are some that will get through the net but they are, and continue to be, weeded out.

No scheme is infallible but on the whole it works for the many customers that use it. I agree that the general public don't know a lot about it but every year that passes more and more will ;) The insurance was a bind and something that the members have been lobbying about for some time now so who knows. Even if i did not get any work from it at all I would still be in it.

When you count up the freebies you do get it far outweighs the cost of being in. Discounted stationary free advertising free training for you and your employees in everything from wallpapering to spraying to business management discounted paint Dulux of course :LOL: On top of that you have the kudos of belonging to a scheme that prides itself on doing right by the customer and which hopefully weeds out the cowboy element.

You only have to sell the scheme to one customer a year and thats not hard to do when your up against joe bloggs on a price and you have the references and the back up of Dulux ICI inc the free insurance to the customer which means Dulux will pay to put things right if there is a cock up on your part:cool: That alone without the freebies pays for itself.

It isn't for everyone mate and recomendation is still the best way forward but it does help those clients that really don't know which way to turn and can find themselves in a minefield when trying to choose a decorator. Think you should try it again Zamps :eek: They have there own forum too so you can change things from within if you like :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yep ...reading up on it they are offering quite a lot in place of the insurance

When I was invloved the saving on the insurance paid for the Membership on its own and anything esle after that was a bonus.

One thing that did annoy me though was the training courses...they were never divied up evenly around the county...I offered to set some up in the colleges I deal with inwales for them 3 times but they never even bothered getting back to me :evil:

If I was still decorating I would probably join back up given what they are offering now.

Hi There, I was disappointed to see your post and the problems you have experienced using a Select decorator. I work for ICI and actually manage the Select scheme. Please can you contact me on [email protected] with the details for your decorator so I can follow up on this. This is not the high standard I expect from our Select decorators.

Many thanks. Kate

Hello Kate..

Re the above..have you any intention of using other venues for courses that are more evenly spread around the uk?.

Zampa,

Kates prob busy chewing gum and kicking ass :eek: over this thread at the moment so I'll give you an answer if you like:cool: Training takes place in Slough, Portsmouth, waltham Forest, Leeds, Edinburgh, Belfast, Bury st Edmonds, Somerset, Lincoln, St Helens. Think that may be a bit more spread out since your time old timer :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Will be interesting to see how this pans out presuming its a genuine complaint. Make sure you get back and let everyone know how you got on Superman66

old timer

:eek:

I might be 47 but I dont own one single country and western album...i have no 'The best of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber DVD's...no Micheal Bolton or Celine Dion...I dont do the last dance at the wedding disco with the wife to The Power of Love...(spew icon)

I have not one zip up cardy in the wardrobe...no 'jim jams 'just in case'...no his an hers matching raincoats..I havn't taken up dominoes..

I dont drive a green Rover 400..nor wear a heat when I do drive.

I dont eat pie and boiled veg when we go out for food

I dont keep bioled sweets in my pockets.

And as im 'forever the rebel'..I refuse to carry a hanky..

However..I have started saying to my daughter..'call that music'..so change may be on the way!!! :cry:

Until then...its Punk rock anf heavy metal all the way

I WILL NOT CONFORM!!!!
I WILL NOT CONFORM!!!!
I WILL NOT CONFORM!!!!
I WILL NOT CONFORM!!!!
I WILL NOT CONFORM!!!!
I WILL NOT CONFORM!!!!
I WILL NOT CONFORM!!!!
I WILL NOT CONFORM!!!!

Yet........ :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back